Akhenaten

Swivelknife --> Bevel --> Leaves A Line Where The Cut Was

Too often when I do a swivel cut and then bevel I see a line where the cut goes deeper than the beveling. Or if I hammer the bevel hard to get to the depth of the cut then I'm left with a large gap that looks funny. What am I doing wrong?

Also, you might be getting this because you are undercutting with your swivel knife. Make sure when you are cutting that you hold the swivel knife stright up and down, and not tilted to the side. I had a similar problem and it turned out I was leaning the knife over when making sharp turns.

Bob

Also, try not cutting as deep. If you're using a standard angle beveler, you'll get results like that if you try cutting really deep because the beveler has to move a lot more material.

Thank you all! I'll practice some more and consider upgrading my beveller.

I am a bit puzzled because this happened to me way back when. Do you have any pictures? Also, can you briefly describe your process for preparing your leather before you start cutting. My first response without thinking too much would be that you leather is not moisten down far enough which would the reason for the 'white' line. This would be the part that was not wet. Like I said, just my first response without too much thinking. Good luck

I'm gonna throw my 2 cents in, and say it's partially due to the position of the beveler in the cut. If the heel is to close to the area that is being beveled around you will see the cut line in the bottom of the bevel. Try to keep the beveler straight up and down, with the edge of the beveler in the center of the cut. Undercuts etc will make it worse.

Chuck

I am a bit puzzled because this happened to me way back when. Do you have any pictures? Also, can you briefly describe your process for preparing your leather before you start cutting. My first response without thinking too much would be that you leather is not moisten down far enough which would the reason for the 'white' line. This would be the part that was not wet. Like I said, just my first response without too much thinking. Good luck

Ah, I hadn't even thought of that one. Now that you mention it, I do remember that problem happening more back when I didn't know how to case that well.

No pictures? I didn't see you mentioned anything "white", but if we knew what "gap" you're referring to that would help.

Ya I haven't been casing properly... I was following the spray it down and tool method.

Here's some pictures of the project I'm working on right now that has some of what I'm talking about.

541 (http://leatherworker.net/forum/uploads/gallery/album_2050/gallery_43283_2050_33832.jpg) is a good example of the cut line issue I'm talking about.

The others are examples of the "gap" issue I was referring to.

In general these pictures seem distorted because of how close I was trying to capture the detail. It's hard to make out what is beveled vs straight sides. Sorry about that.

Maybe I'm looking at the picture wrong, but you don't appear to be beveling your leather IN the cut. It looks like you're attempting to bevel next to the cut instead.