oxeyenyc

Rivet Setter From Ebay?

Does anyone have any idea if the Goldstar machines will set Segma fasteners ? They usually come in size 21 (.150" stud/ball) and 22 (.175" stud ball) .. often used w/ glove making, or at pocket flaps on leather jackets. What type and size die would I be needing for these (Goldstar offers Spring snap dies and Ring snap dies). Thanks.

Doug C

Edited by CustomDoug

You had me going with "segma fasteners" I had never heard that term before. The closest to that is the Spring snap, however they are not exactly the same. My advise is to contact David and ask him to see if he can get the dies for the segmas and if he can start supplying segma snaps. Be very detailed and concise in your writing if you choose to email him.

Here is a youtube video that shows the segma fasteners.

After reading several other threads on the subject and according to Art (forum member), Segma snaps are actually considered to be 'Ligne 16' in size... so I'm wondering if that equals to the goldstar dies marked as "dies for metal cover buttons #16 (7/16")" ? And also I'd like to know exactly which dies are in the set.. I assume 4 separate die pieces are needed for the 4 different components of this snap system.

Doug C

I don't think the "dies for metal cover buttons" is correct. Line 16 spring snaps are more like the glove snaps you are seeking... so your best bet is to get the dies for that. The dies are 4 pieces.

I still encourage you to speak with Goldstar to be certain about the correct dies.

Oh, thanks Silvia - I didn't even see the ligne 16 spring snap dies the first time I looked, not sure how that happened. I probably just gravitated to the first "16" I saw. I think those are the right ones.. thanks for confirming the 4 piece dies. I shall contact Goldstar before I make the purchase.

Doug C

Ok good. :)

Wow I want one set too , I have a tough time to. Seems I always get them bent up or twisted . Thanks Gary

Well I have the press and still get them messed up. The long stem smashes into the protruding rim of the stemless piece. I've yet to figure out exactly why.

Too long of a stem will cause you problems. Too big of a hole will cause you problems.

I think it's just not lining up right because the stem isn't going INTO the hole. It's smashing down the rim that surrounds the hole in the stemless part of the rivet. Maybe my leather is too thick.

that very well could be. try creating a divot somehow. See if that helps

Yes. They are.

Anyone running into issues with the Gold Star rivet dies leaving pressure marks on the leather?

The bottom die I received is spring loaded and the top die has a rubber gasket. Both the spring loaded portion on the bottom and the rubber gasket on the top leave impressions on the leather.

Edited by dq7133

Anyone running into issues with the Gold Star rivet dies leaving pressure marks on the leather?

The bottom die I received is spring loaded and the top die has a rubber gasket. Both the spring loaded portion on the bottom and the rubber gasket on the top leave impressions on the leather.

I've only had issues with that when I was trying to rivet leather that was too thick. Another issue could be that you have the handle adjusted for a longer throw causing it to reach into the leather. Do you want to post a photo so others can take a look?

That doesn't sound like any of the rivet dies I have for my machine. Mine are all solid metal, no springs or rubber gaskets.The only ones with gaskets are the snap dies, and both the eyelet and snaps have springs on some.

Thanks for the responses. I have attached a few photos of the dies and a photo of the impression left in the leather.

RavenAus, these are definitely double-cap rivet dies, but the other dies I've seen are like yours (just metal), so I was a bit surprised when I received these.

post-54697-0-93844600-1450478008_thumb.j

post-54697-0-57420800-1450478012_thumb.j

post-54697-0-57574700-1450478016_thumb.j

Thanks for the responses. I have attached a few photos of the dies and a photo of the impression left in the leather.

RavenAus, these are definitely double-cap rivet dies, but the other dies I've seen are like yours (just metal), so I was a bit surprised when I received these.

Yep, I think you need to shorten the throw of your handle. There's a screw or bolt type thing under the handle that adjusts. Adjust that out. Also make sure your rivet with the stem sits proud of the leather at least 1/16" . I've noticed that the rivets from Goldstar are typically for thinner leathers. Anything over 6oz will cause you problems. On a brighter note, the die will set a brown button. :)

Yes. They are.

Sylvia - I wanted to be the first of 2016 to ask if they are running the leather crafter deal (snaps/rivets) still. I was on their site and am seeing.

1. Press Machine for $50

2. Press Machine + 3 Grommet sets + 900 grommets for $80

3. Press Machine + 1 die set for $70

Thanks,

Tony

Sylvia - Thanks for the suggestion!

Tony - I placed my order in November. I was able to get the deal by emailing David at (david at goldstartool dot com).

Sylvia - Thanks for the suggestion!

Tony - I placed my order in November. I was able to get the deal by emailing David at (david at goldstartool dot com).

Thank you DQ. Went ahead and emailed David. Hopefully this works out!

Sylvia - I wanted to be the first of 2016 to ask if they are running the leather crafter deal (snaps/rivets) still. I was on their site and am seeing.

1. Press Machine for $50

2. Press Machine + 3 Grommet sets + 900 grommets for $80

3. Press Machine + 1 die set for $70

Thanks,

Tony

Tony: LOL @ first in 2016 to ask about it. Yes still available. The deal is NOT online. You'll need to call or email to get it. Tell him you talked to me and you want the leather worker/crafter deal and he'll know exactly what to put together for you.

For anyone still wondering, the deal is still on . I just ordered mine today and he mentioned it to me and said all you have to do is mention the website (Leatherworker.net). Includes 1) Press, 2) 6mm rivet die (I changed mine to 9mm), 3) Ligne 20 ring snap, 4) Ligne 24 ring snap die. Well I've learned a wealth of info from this thread!! Thanks to all. Although I'm not quite sure what a ring snap is or is used for. I was initially looking for grommet and rivet setting, but figured if this was the setup he made for LW then I must need it, lol. Yeah, I'm new! heeheee :cowgirl:

This has been a great thread, I'm glad I saw it. I just wanted to add my experience to the mix.

I called last week, spoke with David and ordered the "Sylvia" deal. wihin 2 days I had the press, 8mm double round rivet die, ligne20 and ligne 24 ring snap dies. I passed on the rivets because I prefer solid copper or stainless steel. The press worked great for both the rivets and the ss snaps I use, until Monday morning, while setting a snap I managed to break the press in half. The bottom part where the anvil slides in snapped off. Now I dont know if maybe I pressed too hard or if the thing leaned forward as I pressed ( I didnt have it bolted down yet). Right away I started trying to figure out a way to fix it, when I thought maybe I should call Goldstar and see what my options where. Well, within 5 minutes of calling they had another press on the way, no questions asked, well, she did ask me to send a picture of the broken press. I called Monday, before noon and have my new press ( its Wednesday) sitting on my kitchen table, waiting for me to bolt it down to my workbench this time. It seems to me Goldstar Tool is a great company to deal with. Their customer service was great and they gave me no hassle at all before sending out another press. They didnt even ask me to return the broken one. I'll be ordering some more dies from them soon and will be going through their catalog to ake sure there's nothing else I need. Great company in my opinion.

So I've been reading through this thread and I saw a post that this hand press may not be compatible with Tandy hardware. That would seem weird if it couldn't handle their, for example, Ligne 20 snaps-- I thought that was standard. I have ordered from several places in the past including Ohio Travel Bag, Buckleguy, etc. Has anyone had success using rivets, snaps, grommets, etc from other companies or am I locked into their hardware? I didn't really see that they sold solid brass or stainless steel hardware, nor do I want to throw away the stuff I have already bought along the way. Anyone have any experience with this? Surely not everyone is using the same hardware with this hand press. Thanks in advance!