oxeyenyc

Rivet Setter From Ebay?

This has been a great thread, I'm glad I saw it. I just wanted to add my experience to the mix.

I called last week, spoke with David and ordered the "Sylvia" deal. wihin 2 days I had the press, 8mm double round rivet die, ligne20 and ligne 24 ring snap dies. I passed on the rivets because I prefer solid copper or stainless steel. The press worked great for both the rivets and the ss snaps I use, until Monday morning, while setting a snap I managed to break the press in half. The bottom part where the anvil slides in snapped off. Now I dont know if maybe I pressed too hard or if the thing leaned forward as I pressed ( I didnt have it bolted down yet). Right away I started trying to figure out a way to fix it, when I thought maybe I should call Goldstar and see what my options where. Well, within 5 minutes of calling they had another press on the way, no questions asked, well, she did ask me to send a picture of the broken press. I called Monday, before noon and have my new press ( its Wednesday) sitting on my kitchen table, waiting for me to bolt it down to my workbench this time. It seems to me Goldstar Tool is a great company to deal with. Their customer service was great and they gave me no hassle at all before sending out another press. They didnt even ask me to return the broken one. I'll be ordering some more dies from them soon and will be going through their catalog to ake sure there's nothing else I need. Great company in my opinion.

So nice to hear they took care of you. I bolted mine down right away and haven't had an issue with it. But I don't go all "Kong" on mine either. lol

So I've been reading through this thread and I saw a post that this hand press may not be compatible with Tandy hardware. That would seem weird if it couldn't handle their, for example, Ligne 20 snaps-- I thought that was standard. I have ordered from several places in the past including Ohio Travel Bag, Buckleguy, etc. Has anyone had success using rivets, snaps, grommets, etc from other companies or am I locked into their hardware? I didn't really see that they sold solid brass or stainless steel hardware, nor do I want to throw away the stuff I have already bought along the way. Anyone have any experience with this? Surely not everyone is using the same hardware with this hand press. Thanks in advance!

I have personal experience and full on annoyance with this. Turns out Tandy's Ligne 20s are smaller by at least one millimeter and the result is a crushed cap or ring. I have other Ligne 24's that came from Lord knows where that work fine... haven't had much trouble with Tandy ligne 24s either. I guess in your case it's measure to see if it will fit. Or just try them on scrap.

I have personal experience and full on annoyance with this. Turns out Tandy's Ligne 20s are smaller by at least one millimeter and the result is a crushed cap or ring. I have other Ligne 24's that came from Lord knows where that work fine... haven't had much trouble with Tandy ligne 24s either. I guess in your case it's measure to see if it will fit. Or just try them on scrap.

That sucks. But I guess not that surprising. But I guess this will be the risk of any hand press / die system. Thank you for the input. This one is at the top of my list.

This has been a great thread, I'm glad I saw it. I just wanted to add my experience to the mix.

I called last week, spoke with David and ordered the "Sylvia" deal. wihin 2 days I had the press, 8mm double round rivet die, ligne20 and ligne 24 ring snap dies. I passed on the rivets because I prefer solid copper or stainless steel. The press worked great for both the rivets and the ss snaps I use, until Monday morning, while setting a snap I managed to break the press in half. The bottom part where the anvil slides in snapped off. Now I dont know if maybe I pressed too hard or if the thing leaned forward as I pressed ( I didnt have it bolted down yet). Right away I started trying to figure out a way to fix it, when I thought maybe I should call Goldstar and see what my options where. Well, within 5 minutes of calling they had another press on the way, no questions asked, well, she did ask me to send a picture of the broken press. I called Monday, before noon and have my new press ( its Wednesday) sitting on my kitchen table, waiting for me to bolt it down to my workbench this time. It seems to me Goldstar Tool is a great company to deal with. Their customer service was great and they gave me no hassle at all before sending out another press. They didnt even ask me to return the broken one. I'll be ordering some more dies from them soon and will be going through their catalog to ake sure there's nothing else I need. Great company in my opinion.

Out of curiosity, what is your source for the SS snaps and rivets that are compatible with this press? I am about to order and may pick up some more rivets and snaps as well--but I also prefer stainless steel. Thanks in advance!

I am about to place my order here and got to thinking.

A single additional Die set costs $30.

The deal is for the press, three die sets, and 100 pack of rivets costs $90.

If you need three additional die sets, it is literally cheaper to buy an additional "deal".

I just called and brokered my deal. Deal price changed last month. It is now at $99.96.

1. Machine.

2. Dies

• Ligne 20 snap
  • 8mm Double Cap
  • 3mm hole punch that will work for ligne 20 and 8mm double cap (no more hammering those!)

3. 100 Brass Double Caps

Has anyone found any other supplier's snaps that work well with this setter? I tried Ohio Travel Bag's ligne 20 and the cap got stuck in the die.  Just wanted to see if there are other options out there. 

I thought I read someone had issues with ligne 20 snaps from Tandy.  Maybe I'm mistaken.  I'm just looking for other potential alternatives to goldstartools snaps.

7 minutes ago, Petro49er said:

I thought I read someone had issues with ligne 20 snaps from Tandy.  Maybe I'm mistaken.  I'm just looking for other potential alternatives to goldstartools snaps.

You did read that correctly.  When I originally got my machine the ligne 20 snaps didn't work.  But that was over 2 years ago so Tandy may have corrected the problem.  Just after starting leather craft some kind soul sent me a big ol' bag of snaps... I'm talking like 500 or more.  I won't have to buy any for years. (thanks again kind soul.... whoever you are)   I suggest you buy a small pack of Tandy's and see if they work on your machine.  

Thanks Sylvia.  I thought I had.  And thanks for setting up this whole setup with goldstar.  I tried contacting Buckleguy to see if I could buy a small quantity to test with my press and they wouldn't allow me to do so.  I've also only had issues with ligne 20 from Ohio Travel Bag.  I had no ligne 24 to test with.  All that said, the ones from Goldstar work fine; it's just nice to have options.

@Petro49er I would also add that the quality with Tandy seems to be hit-or-miss, so as @sylvia suggested, you might have to do some experimenting.

I don't use snaps often, but the ones I do use were purchased from Tandy about 6 months ago. Both ligne 20 and ligne 24 work fine for me. 

Anyone know if the double cap rivet die will work for multiple sizes of double cap rivets (6mm, 7mm, etc.)?

Cache Money   

• Cache Money
  • Members
  • 4 posts

I just called and brokered my deal. Deal price changed last month. It is now at $99.96.

1. Machine.

2. Dies

• Ligne 20 snap
  • 8mm Double Cap
  • 3mm hole punch that will work for ligne 20 and 8mm double cap (no more hammering those!)

3. 100 Brass Double Caps

Can you please tell me where you brokered this deal? I'm looking for a handpress that will fit many sizes. Thanks! 

The deal is found at Goldstartool.com  call them and ask for the "Sylvia Leather" deal.   Since this deal was originally set up a few years ago it may indeed be 99.99 or so.  But considering that Tandy charges over $200 for the machine and $100 for the dies I think this is a great deal.  

On 4/7/2016 at 9:16 AM, robb01 said:

Anyone know if the double cap rivet die will work for multiple sizes of double cap rivets (6mm, 7mm, etc.)?

The dies are sized for the rivets.  That said you could probably use a 7mm one to set a 6mm rivet, but considering the dies are so cheap,  I recommend that you get the correct size.  

On 4/27/2016 at 5:16 PM, Sylvia said:

The deal is found at Goldstartool.com  call them and ask for the "Sylvia Leather" deal.   Since this deal was originally set up a few years ago it may indeed be 99.99 or so.  But considering that Tandy charges over $200 for the machine and $100 for the dies I think this is a great deal.  

The dies are sized for the rivets.  That said you could probably use a 7mm one to set a 6mm rivet, but considering the dies are so cheap,  I recommend that you get the correct size.  

Sylvia -- you just saved me so much money. I have a very old Stimpson 489 (American made) that I broke over the weekend (got a die stuck, warped the housing upon removal) that I needed to replace. Also moving cross-country in a few months so wanted to downsize. I'd been researching all afternoon and came across this thread -- happy to say David is still honoring the Sylvia deal -- ran me $99 for the green machine, and he let me build my own combination of dies (I chose his spring snap ligne 20, ring snap 24, and double cap rivet 8mm). I work almost exclusively with Ohio Travel Bag snaps and will update this post once I have tried to set them with my new setter. Back up plan is to buy the individual dies from OTB (around $30 per die!) for the buttons if needed (someone else mentioned they got the buttons stuck in Goldstar's die). Thanks again! 

On 5/9/2017 at 3:09 PM, qlthreadhead said:

Sylvia -- you just saved me so much money. I have a very old Stimpson 489 (American made) that I broke over the weekend (got a die stuck, warped the housing upon removal) that I needed to replace. Also moving cross-country in a few months so wanted to downsize. I'd been researching all afternoon and came across this thread -- happy to say David is still honoring the Sylvia deal -- ran me $99 for the green machine, and he let me build my own combination of dies (I chose his spring snap ligne 20, ring snap 24, and double cap rivet 8mm). I work almost exclusively with Ohio Travel Bag snaps and will update this post once I have tried to set them with my new setter. Back up plan is to buy the individual dies from OTB (around $30 per die!) for the buttons if needed (someone else mentioned they got the buttons stuck in Goldstar's die). Thanks again! 

I am glad David was able to help you.  I've been happy with both of my machines.  I bought one and he gave me one.  Most recently I got a serious electric cutting tool.  It can cut 10oz HO saddle leather like NOTHING... only thing is it doesn't do curves.  But If I need a straight line... it's awesome and it self sharpens!! (a huge deal for me.)

check it out. https://goldstartool.com/Electric_rotary_cutter_4_inch_RSD-100.html

I was quite pleased to find this thread via a reddit post regarding hand presses.  I have looked at most of the presses offered out there, and they all are similar in

how they are made and function, so it comes down to dies and costs.    Hands down the "Sylvia Leather" deal is tops, if still available.    I will be making the call this week

and will report back on availability of the deal. 

I've been seriously looking at the Gold Star hand press and I just read through this entire thread (most info I've found anywhere!). I sent in some rivets I have (3/16" mild steel semi tubular), but he doesn't have any dies that work with them.

I share the same concern as some others here - I don't want to be locked into only using their hardware. I want to be able to source rivets and dies from other places as needed. Does anyone know of other shops that sell dies that work with this machine?

I'd also be really interested to know what sorts of rivets this machine can handle. Steel semi-tubular ones are a bear to set. I love them for their strength, but setting them properly is tough. What size/material rivets have you been able to set well with this machine?

Well, to throw in my two cents on this issue of Hand Presses. I am retired and one of my hobbies is working leather. So I'm no expert leather worker, that said, here is what I have found out about hand presses for snaps, grommets, and rivets.

There seems to be no common size, or terminology between the different countries, manufacturers, or vendors when discussing these machines and dies. And they all want theirs to be proprietary machines and dies so you spend all your money with them ( one my pet peeves, the word proprietary) /. But having spent several hours/days reading and researching, I'm still pretty confused. But I am resolving a few of my issues and problems.

The "green hand press" directly from China has dies that are 19 mm base hole with a top thread of 8 mm.(see pics)

KAM presses do not have threads but a grooved tang that you tighten a set screw to hold. I didn't like this method as I can never find an allen wrench the right size when I need it, and I hate breaking up sets of wrenches to dedicate one just for one use. But I do like the bottom die as it has a 'button' you push to insert it and when released, holds the bottom in. Kinda cool, but not worth having to look for an allen wrench for the top die.

Gold Star dies are smaller, not sure of bottom diameter but the top thread is 1/4" x 24 which is not a common thread. SAE common threads are 1/4"x20 course and 1/4"x28 fine.  I like Gold Star dies, but had already purchased a "green hand press".

I have only seen pictures of the Tandy dies, but they are expensive. So are other brands I have seen especially the commercial machines. The Chinese dies run between $9 to $15 dollars a set, the guy in the UK sells dies for roughly $20 a set, and I have seen them on ebay from $9 to close to $50. Most of mine are the $9 variety with me breaking down a buying some that are special that cost $20. Like the Gold Star pearl snap dies. 

So what I did was this, I have an old atlas 6" lathe so I turned a small insert so the gold star dies 'fit' the bottom hole, then I took an 8 mm bolt and in my lathe, drilled and tapped it to 1/4"x24 (had to buy a special tap to thread this). Now I can use the Gold Star dies in my green machine. I also had to drill another hole in the threaded shaft to allow me to move the shaft up slightly, as clearance between the dies are set for the "green machine" dies and with the Gold Star dies with the modified insert and 8mm threaded bold there was not enough room. but with a hole about 1/2" down from the original, and by removing some of the bolt hex head to 'thin' it up, and the bottom insert only has a thin 1/4" or so, lip, I am happy to say it seems to work great.  The second hole in the shaft is pretty easy to move and so I removed the cotter pin and use a nail to slid into the hold between the body and springs as the spring holds the nail in place securely enough to use it but is easy to pull out and move to the other hole to switch between dies/inserts. I have ordered some more dies, both from Gold Star (their pearl snap dies are the best for setting peal snaps as they are Teflon lined to prevent marring the button snap) I have the three common spring snap dies from china (831 etc.) and ring snap dies are ordered. I have single cap rivet dies from the UK vendor coming as well. So I'm still learning and putting this machine and dies together. But in a few months I will have almost all of the operations figured out.

Just to mention grommets, they seem to be more of a 'standard'. And I have had very little issue with grommet dies and setting grommets. My dies  punch the hole and set the grommet in one operation and as long as you have the correct grommet die size in the machine, they come out without marring or bending and look clean and hold very tightly.

Hope this helps anyone just getting into hand presses as I had a real hard time learning the differences without wasting precious resources in getting this setup. I will have to revisit is once I get all my dies in and get the process of using them down. As I found it a very confusing and way too complicated an issue since every vendor wants to make theirs unique so you have to buy all of your items from them.

s-l1600.jpg

Grommet dies.png

Thanks for posting that, it will save some people a whole lot of time and research , and money..
An additional note for you, if you ever get the chance to get any of the older French made rivet / eyelet / grommet / snap setters made by "Daude", the setters are all 8mm threaded into the "piston" ( "the piston" itself has a very coarse "thread" lowers it in the cast iron frame when the integral handle is swung / turned ) that's the top part..the lower part of the "die" is held in place in the lower part of the casting by a small set screw. The lower "die" part on mine incorporates a tiny spring.