Sign in to follow this  
3arrows

Singer 29-4 Breaking top thread

Im having a problem with my 29-4 breaking the top thread. Ihave adjusted it till Im blue in the face, with no change. It seems to be jamming the thread in the shuttle/bobbin and breaking the thread. It takes about 3 stitches before it jams and breaks. Doesn't make any difference what size thread I use, they all break. This just all of sudden started happening last week. I m not sure who can help me with this,but does anyone know of a repair person I can contact about this problem??? thanks ron. :helpsmilie:

Im having a problem with my 29-4 breaking the top thread. Ihave adjusted it till Im blue in the face, with no change. It seems to be jamming the thread in the shuttle/bobbin and breaking the thread. It takes about 3 stitches before it jams and breaks. Doesn't make any difference what size thread I use, they all break. This just all of sudden started happening last week. I m not sure who can help me with this,but does anyone know of a repair person I can contact about this problem??? thanks ron. :helpsmilie:

Call FERDCO, they have be helpful with all makes of machines over the phone:

Contact Information / Mailing: Ferdco Corp.- PO Box 65 - Harrison Id 83833

Contact Information / Shipping: Ferdco Corp. - 128 N Fredrick - Harrison Id 83833

In the US - Call Toll Free -1-800-645-0197

Outside of US - 208-689-3006

Fax - 208-689-3008

e-mail ferdco@smgazette.com

Cheers,

Bob Stelmack

Sounds like your timing got knocked out of whack somehow since you are jamming when the needle brings thread to the shuttle. If you have another shuttle/hook that you know is good, try replacing the shuttle and see if it still happens. If it works, then your hook is probably messed up. If it doesn't work, then you may need a timing adjustment.

Do you any thread fraying at the needle??? Make sure that your upper tension is not too tight and that there is nothing obstructing the free flow of thread under proper tension through the top tensioners and needle bar assembly. Make certain that your needle is in good condition and set correctly in the needle bar. Make sure it is pushed all the way up and that there is nothing obstructing it from going all the way up. If something blocks it from going all the way up, the needle will not present the thread to the hook properly and you will get breakage. You can fiddle with the position of the needle in the needle bar to see if that helps.

Also check your two stitches that you are getting... Does your top thread lie flat on the leather or is the lockstitch joined in the middle of the leather? If it lies flat then you have a top tension problem because the top tension is too tight.

29-4's are not easy to adjust relative to timing and the like. The 29K's and U's are much easier to work on. The guy at MG Sewing in Chicago is quite expert with 29's. He might be willing to help you. He is a very very, busy old guy so you will have more luck with sugar than with vinegar.

M G Sewing Machine Co

3830 W Irving Park Rd

Chicago, IL 60618-3122

(773) 588-3944

:red_bandana::red_bandana::red_bandana:

Ok, have tried the suggestions that you made and still is breaking the thread. It has got to be a timing issue, since it just started last week. Was fine up till then. Any idea of how to retime one of these beasts?? Im giving both guys a call, the one that Bob recommended and the one that you listed,,thanks ron.

Ok, have tried the suggestions that you made and still is breaking the thread. It has got to be a timing issue, since it just started last week. Was fine up till then. Any idea of how to retime one of these beasts?? Im giving both guys a call, the one that Bob recommended and the one that you listed,,thanks ron.

I forgot his name. Somehow Bernie comes to my mind. Anyhoo... he tuned a couple of my Singer 29's and did a great job. He knows them quite well. He repairs industrial machines and has more work than Carter has liver pills.

The K class machines have a different shuttle housing and gearing. They are designed to be more easily tuned precisely because the 29-4's were much harder to work on. I think that I have a service manual for the K's somewhere but not for the 29-4's so I am not sure it would be of any help to you.

1222348736[/url]' post='63491']

I forgot his name. Somehow Bernie comes to my mind. Anyhoo... he tuned a couple of my Singer 29's and did a great job. He knows them quite well. He repairs industrial machines and has more work than Carter has liver pills.

The K class machines have a different shuttle housing and gearing. They are designed to be more easily tuned precisely because the 29-4's were much harder to work on. I think that I have a service manual for the K's somewhere but not for the 29-4's so I am not sure it would be of any help to you.

I'm a little late here but I had the same problem I was reading the forums and I finally saw the light "Oil" a few drop of 3 and 1 oil and voila work like new again.. I remember my dad it had one as well and he would oil it every time he would change the bobbin. Mine was fine and then start acting up,breaking up the thread and not sewing more then 4-5 stitches now every time I change the bobbin I oil it.

I hope this help any one who get stock in the future