Tex Shooter

Using Waxed Nylex

I have always used Linen or poly thread for the simple sheathes that I make, but recently I got a spool of Nylex. Its size is the same as close as I can tell and stitched it looks about the same, but it is much harder to pull through the leather. So much harder in fact I have to use stitching pliers on every stitch. I added extra wax, but that did not help either. When I use poly I can pull all the stitches except the back stitches with my fingers. I did notice that the Nylex does not lay flat against the needle like the poly does when pulling. Here are two sheaths stitched with Nylex and it looks OK. Has anyone else experienced this?

post-42291-0-94799000-1384523060_thumb.j

I started with Nylex and the went to linen and thr to Barbour's 7 cord linen, the Barbour's I liked the best, personally I wouldn't use Nylex again. JMO. I did buy a machine though so I haven't hand stitched in some time. I waxed the Barbour's with beeswax pine rosin mix, bought from Bingham's Projects and I believe they called it stringmakers wax.

Jeremy

Jeremy I like Linen also. The main reason I use Poly is it is cheap and I sell these little sheathes cheap. Although I have made these sheathes for years I did not till recently have a stitching clamp. It has made a real difference in my speed and my quality of stitch. -- Tex

Tex

I think the linen was $60 for a one pound spool, 700 some odd yards I think so about .08 yard, but a big upfront investment for "string". I think I msde one or two items before I made a pony, yes huge difference in stitching time and ease!