Davidstryingtosew

Really Good Quality Tools, Share Them Please...

I'm just starting out and am as green as it gets when it comes to leather And sewing. But, I do love tools. Just something about using them and knowing the care and detail it takes to make one, and then having one in my hands.

So with that, what would be the higher end tools to get as far as maker and model. I'm sure there are the crazy priced ones that should even be used, but what about the Really good, Never buy it again, feels good in my hand tools... You know, the ones you guys all have are? ... everyone loves pics as well :)

David

Cutting tools from Terry Kniperschield rate up there with the best of them. Bob

Joseph Dixons are great quality but not beautiful. Blanchard tools are near worlks of art.

My $.02,

For carving or stamping, definitely Barry King. For the best geometrics or basket stamps, Wayne Jueschke in Elko, NV. For the absolute best of the best, Robert Beard.

For swivel knives, Barry King's are very good but my favorite is Leather Wranglers. I like their round knives too and own one, but Terry Knipschield are really good too.

For other hand tools (edgers, etc.) probably Jeremiah Watt or Ron's Tools. Both seem excellent though I don't personally have any yet. Barry King makes some of them too and I have one of his french edgers and love it.

Also, you can contact Bruce Johnson who is part of this forum and moderator in the saddlry section. He sells used tools (brucejohnsonleather.com) that are in good shape and properly sharpened, plus he can tell you about the different makers and what would be a good tool for the kind of work you want to do. He's a great resource that would be happy to help you out.

Hope this helps,

Bob