Turn n Burn

Hawk Leather Carving

Hi everybody. I've been lurking on this site foe awile now and just got a phone that I can upload some pics This is a carving Im just finishing up. Really happy with the carving but basket weave needs some work 8/9 oz vegtan stitched to pine border is just glued. Thinking of puting rivets to hold the corners cause they are shrinking and getting some gap. Let me know what you think

post-41644-0-49864300-1384822675_thumb.p

Nice job.

Nice work, and welcome to the forum. Keep on posting!

Thanks everyone

Samar I just used the eco flow briar brown highlight that came with my basic tandy kit and some resist on the beak ecoflo coal black on the eye

Edited by Turn n Burn

You might achieve a nice look on your next frame by overlapping the mitered edges a bit, and skiving them down so they match thickness, but still keeping the angled miter cut look with some creative cutting and such. I may have to play around with the idea and show pics to explain better.

I like the hawk, it's nice, but if you made the white thread dissapear and use black instead, attention wouldn't be focused on the outer edge of your work. Just a thought, hope you don't mind.

Thanks for the ideas. Don't mind at all should have put this one in Critique my Work! Mods can move it if they want.

I like both ideas will try the skiving idea next go around I can smell what your stepping in sporq.thanks

I see what your saying gambler the stitching kinda takes away from the artwork. No one believed me it was leather so I thought the stitches would showcase that but see what you mean I how it draws the eye away from the focal point. Which should be the eye need to work on that a bit too maybe a Lacquer finish on it would help it pop.

also I didn't back it with anything like leather puddy or anything will that be a problem? Should I drill a hole in the wood and spray foam the back? I havr to cover the back anyway cause I didn't use a back up wood when drilling the ply and had some wood chip out.

any other critiques welcome too.