I just got my first sewing machine. Wow, do I have a lot to learn. It's like starting leatherwork all over again. I got a Cowboy 3200 from Bob Kovar at Toledo Sewing. The 3200 is a new machine that they don't even have up on the web site yet. Bob had mentioned that he thought it would be the best machine for the variety of projects I do. So far, it seems to be a very good intermediate machine. I'm sure the machine has it's limits, but none that I'll or I believe most people would hit. Mainly, I do motorcycle bags, holster, wallets, and belts.

It is a cylinder arm machine with a walking foot and a combound feed. Set up on a lower table, vs the more common stand. I has a servo motor. Thread sizes are from 138 to 347, I believe. I've only run 207 on it so far (top and bottom).

I had a small issue with the shipping. The table was damaged in shipping. I, like most on here, have a day job, so my sister signed for it and didn't notice the damage to the table. Bob was great and set new legs for the table out and I had them a few days later.

Of course, like most new machine owners, I've already pestered him with a list of questions. He takes his time and responds to each one. I'm sure I'll have some for you guys too.

I'm not sure of the etiquette of discussing pricing, since it isn't on the website yet, but i will say it was the most affordable option for me looking for a new machine. Being new and not knowing how things are supposed to be operate or look, I figured I was better off with a new one.

There is a learning curve and there are still some issues I'm having. The one that's nagging me, is sometimes, when I'm done sewing and pull the piece out, it is like the last stitch isn't set in the middle. It's hard to explain, but its like it was set and I'm pulling it out from the underside of the project. Other than that, it's going good. I practiced for about fifteen minutes then sewed a holster. I'm pleased.

So, if you are thinking of a new machine, call and ask Bob about the new 3200.

IMG 1242[2]

This is the first thing I've sewn.

I was just considering the same machine, you're happy with it? You don't think it would be worth stepping up to the 3500? Also what sort of accessories came with it?

Hello Ike, WOW for the first one you did a very professional looking job! Looks great !

Thanks Bob. I didn't realize you guys had it up on the site yet. I'm happy with the machine. I had initialy asked Bob about the 3500. I honestly don't know enough about them yet to say, it's better or worse, other than what I've been told. I'm sure Bob can Chime in, but it seems better suited for the thinner leathers and a bit more versitile. Cost, is of course, a factor in the decision. If it wasn't, I would of just bought two machine.

ikewineb,

I'm glad to hear you like it. I to have been talking to Bob and for what I'll be doing he recommended the 3200 also. I am in the process of moving and if all goes well I'll be placing my order here after the 6 Dec 13.

Please keep us posted on how things are going, would truly appreciate it.

Oh also if I may ask, did you happen to get the flat bed attachment? If so do you have it mounted to the machine and how is it working out for ya?

Take care,

scooter out...........

That's not a bad price. To the Original Poster... check out Al Bane's youtube channel for some sewing tips. (he is using a cobra but the machines are pretty much the same)

No, I didn't get the flat bed. I didn't really see a need. I also do motorcycle bags, so I need the arm most of the time. I also figured I could make one pretty cheap from plywood or MDF, if I saw the need later. The only accessories I got was different feet, per Bob's suggestion and an edge guide for doing belts. I've not put the edge gude on yet. After using the machine, I'm not sure I "need" the edge guide. Sewing straight seems to be pretty easy, it's the turns that could get tricky.

I will certainly check out those videos on youtube. I need all the help I can get.

Sewing thinner leathers, the machine is pulling the Bobbin through the top of the piece. Thinner being two 2oz pieces (wallet interior). I've discussed it with Bob and he's suggested backing off the tension on the top tread. So, i see the tension disc and then there is the wheel it wraps around before going to the take up. I've found some frustration with that wheel it wraps around. I should of taken a picture of how it was wrapped before I changed the thread. Directions just say, wrap it around...which way? Over the post, under the post? I like detail. lol. I've loosened those, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. I honestly, don't see how the top disc provides any resistance. It snaps in between the disc, but once its snapped in, it doesn't really touch the disc. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something before moving to thinner thread. Currently, I'm using 207. I'd prefer to stay with one size if possible.

Ike,

The tension to loosen is the first one & the thread goes down the back underneath & up the front.Here's a video

I'll preface this by saying I'm no expert, and I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn last night but I remember reading a smaller needle may help with the knot position on thinner leather, smaller hole not allowing the knot to move up as far. Might be easy to try. I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in soon.

BTW way cool machine, the price point on that is awesome, Bob I think you have a real winner there, just a bit more $$ than a Boss and powered.

Jeremy

Edited by J Hayes

Thought I'd give an update on my sewing thin leather issue. After watching all the videos and really looking close at the pictures, I figured out what my issue was. Excuse, me because I don't know what the parts are called, but...There is an arm that is part of the presser fooot lift that seperates the top tension disc. It was stuck between the disc. So, the disc were kind of angled. I don't know how or why, but, fixing that, cured all of my ills. Thank you all for your input. The you tube videos are really a must for the newbies like myself.

Ike;

What caused the tension release lever to get stuck between the disks? Others will want to know.

I really don't know. Anyone that's had a machine before, I'm sure would of caught it right off the bat. I'm guessing it was like that all along. I do know the presser foot lift pedal was sticking. I'm not sure what caused it, but I'm glad it got resolved. Machine is running and sewing great now.

Hello Ike, Is the screw that the lever pivots on loose?This can also happen when you take the end cover off to oil the internals & forget to line it up.

Ok I have another question, would the 3200 be ok for saddle work? Is the extra arm length absolutely needed?

Nevermind,..I just called Bob and ordered a cb4500.

I've found some frustration with that wheel it wraps around. I should of taken a picture of how it was wrapped before I changed the thread. Directions just say, wrap it around...which way?

Once you figure out the correct way and get it threaded, you might do what the production seamstresses do and clip the thread near the spool, tie on the new thread... and pull the needle thread until the knot gets to the needle. clip off at the knot and thread the needle. (great for those who tend to forget or don't change thread colors often)

Congrats Seth!

That's a really good idea about the thread. I never thought of that. I think I've got the threading down, for now.

Once you figure out the correct way and get it threaded, you might do what the production seamstresses do and clip the thread near the spool, tie on the new thread... and pull the needle thread until the knot gets to the needle. clip off at the knot and thread the needle. (great for those who tend to forget or don't change thread colors often)

That's what I do on ALL of my sewing machines. Does that mean I am a Seamster?

That's what I do on ALL of my sewing machines. Does that mean I am a Seamster?

HI Wiz! I would say so! lol (and very smart, too)

In fact, the only time I actually have to thread one of my industrial sewing machines is after I have removed the faceplate to oil the Tin Man that lives inside the head.

Hello Ike, Is the screw that the lever pivots on loose?This can also happen when you take the end cover off to oil the internals & forget to line it up.

Dear God if this is similar to the Techsew 5100/441 clones I might have to send you a bottle... Any chance you've got a photo of the screw in question?

What about even thinner leather like two 1 oz pieces or reall soft leather? Also any complaints about presser feet leaving marks on any type of leather does that happen often ?

How are you able to stitch this close to the high molded leather without the needle guide hitting the raised leather?

Even with one foot the guide sticks out 1/4 of an inch.

post-19342-0-89784000-1457528917_thumb.j