LeatherworkingNovice

Tippmann Boss questions

:deadsubject::whatdoyouthink::helpsmilie:

Which one is better & why: the older cast iron or the new(er) cast aluminum?

When did they switch to cast aluminum?

Can you tell by model number if it is cast iron or cast aluminum? If so, how?

Other than color, what is the difference between models with the black plate on the front and the models with the chrome plate? I'm refering to the plate that has the label/sticker on it, NOT the model/serial number plate that is rivited to the base.

Love it or hate it?

Why?

If you hate it, what machine would you prefer over the Boss?

Looking forward to the responses :)

LN

I don't have one, but have tried them.

As far as opinions, on this board anyways, commenters have said at the price it seems to be a good beginning machine. There are some who uses it for their business everyday. As for all those questions, I would just call Tippman and ask. I'm sure they won't mind telling you the differences. Do a search of the Forum for Boss or tippman, and you'll find lots of info.

A decemt heavy stitcher starts at around 2200 (ie. Artisan 3000), that's twice as much as the Boss last time I checked. There'll probably be more better info from others who add to this topic

Good luck.

I can't answer all the questions, but here's one I can: How to tell if it's cast Aluminum or cast Iron......Lift it. The aluminum will move with a little effort, the iron one will require MORE effort.

Yeah, but not easy to do when the seller is several hundred miles away and not necessarilly interested in checking. I also tell them to hold a magnet up to the frame to see if it sticks but none of them seem to have done that.

*sigh*

I cannot tell you which one is better as I have only owned and used the aluminum one I have. I like it. Yes, . . . it has it's finniky attitude times, . . . but I worked production maintenance for a fortune 500 manufacturer for 30 years, . . . and there is not one machine produced that will not in one way or another be that way.

I have used mine mostly for knife scabbards, gun belts, dress belts, and holsters (by far the most of the stitches) and it adequately fulfills my needs.

Yes, . . . I have in exasperation ripped out the stitches, . . . and used the holes made by the needle to hand sew a project when I could not get the machine to cooperate, . . . but not very often.

A very dedicated and helpful staff also is there to help you if you need the help. They are top notch in my book. They have gone over the top to help me, . . . and deserve all the praise they get.

May God bless,

Dwight

Yeah, but not easy to do when the seller is several hundred miles away and not necessarilly interested in checking. I also tell them to hold a magnet up to the frame to see if it sticks but none of them seem to have done that.

*sigh*

ask him for the serial #, then tippiman can tell you about the Boss.

mine is 3 digets and i do like itl

I've owned both the cast iron and aluminum versions. I got the first one (cast iron) new about 6 years ago, and they were just transitioning to the aluminum version. If the current owner of the machine you're interested in bought it new recently, then odds are greater that it's the aluminum version.

My experience with the machines themselves was very frustrating. I actually owned three of them. Broke parts in the first two, and sold off the third one in frustration. An issue with it is the timing gets off very easily. If you're able to reset the timing, then most likely you'll have few issues with it. One of the other issues I had with it was trying to transition between thinner and thicker layers of leather. Once I got it set for the thicker leather, it was fine. But I would spend an inordinate amount of time trying to adjust tension, etc., if I wanted to sew something relatively thin in comparison.

I've read many reports of people who use the machine that are satisfied with it, and have produced some nice stuff. I'll never own another one, based on the experiences I've had with the machine itself. The customer service at Tippmann is excellent and they will help you in every way possible with it.

I bought mine from Neel's Saddlery. After having the problems I did with the BOSS, I transitioned to a couple of his flatbed and cylinder arm machines. It was a huge difference and improvement for me. I now have Artisan machines.

I have a Boss sitting in the corner of the shop covered with dust. You will find that you will spend more time tinkering with the Boss trying to get it to sew a nice stictch than you will actually sewing with one. Take the money and put it toward an Artisen 3000 you will never regret it.