heyjohn

Casing After Finished With Resolene?

Hey all,

I have a little problem on my hands. I just finished this little project and after I added the finishing touches and sealed my leather with resolene, I then realized i forgot to add my stamp. So my question is it possible to still case the leather, maybe from the backside so it gets it damp near the core and then add my logo? I'm sure if i were to try to add water to the front it would just bead up and never soak in. Also the flesh side is lined with fabric that has been attached to the leather with some 3M 77 spray adhesive.

Just hope someone had a few tips before I start this.

Thanks!

P.S. Its a little christmas gift for my girlfriend so I can't mess this up ;)

You don't have a photo so not sure what you're making her but I think you'll have trouble trying to put the logo on at this point. Maybe you could cut out a piece of leather and put the stamp on it and attach it as a decorative piece?

Sorry, here is the picture of the clutch that I made. The little logo I want to put is going to go right above the button stud and is about 1" x 3/4"

post-45944-0-33462500-1386121731_thumb.j

Since the back side has glue on it, water won't soak through from the back either. Where the flesh side was accessible, have done just as you suggested, and it works. Takes longer to dry out after!

Best do like Benlilly says.

Acetone might remove the resolene but you may have trouble getting a nice finish again. Try it on some of the same scrap leather first so you can see the results before you inflict more damage.

Tom

Too bad you didn't have a handle on it. You could make your logo on a piece of leather and chain it on like purse manufacturers do.

I had thought about that too, but she really wanted this style purse to keep it simple and minimal.

And trying to tool while the leather is not dry would not work at all correct?

You can stamp it still (dry), the impression won't be as crisp or deep. You also risk "breaking" the surface of the leather, but it's doable.

Realistically, it's a gift for your girlfriend. She knows who made it....... :) Do you really need to have your makers mark on it?

Chuck

You can stamp it still (dry), the impression won't be as crisp or deep. You also risk "breaking" the surface of the leather, but it's doable.

Realistically, it's a gift for your girlfriend. She knows who made it....... :) Do you really need to have your makers mark on it?

Chuck

very true, I was actually testing it on a dry piece and yeah, it didn't turn out too well...

IF, . . . IF, . . . you have access to an arbor press, . . . that might be the ticket. I've had good fortune using mine on my projects, . . . used to do it with a mallet, . . . and there were some that just DID NOT turn out like I wanted them to do.

The arbor press allows you to try, . . . look, . . . and try again, . . . until you get the impression you want.

Personally, . . . I'd pass on the stamp, . . . that is what I do if a piece gets away from me in the process.

May God bless,

Dwight