There were a lot of "firsts" in this demi-gauntlet. First "construction" of two separate pieces, first use of chicago screws (which work much better than your average rivet), and first use of black and red dyes. I plan on adding proper straps to the hand and thumb but this is where we stand so far.

Demi-Gauntlet

Demi-Gauntlet

Demi-Gauntlet

Wow! I really like this design, would you give us construction notes?

The work is clean and the overall look is very good, but depending on how you want to use it you will have to do several modifications.

I don't want to be blunt, take this as an advice. Firstly, I find it too small, you cannot wear a glove inside or add some padding (if you do steel combat only leather, whatever the thickness, is not enough). Then, there is the binding method, lace is not good, you should have opted for a wider strap (about 1/2 of an inch) because lace tears easily and broke often. Finally, Chicago screws doesn't looks very "period". On the ones I used to make, I stitched the part together with a border stitch (on the inside of the gauntlet with holes exiting on the edge of the leather, like in a turn-shoe sole).

Edited by Thornale

MojoGeorge: I'll see about getting some more pictures taken.

Thornale: Thanks for the advice. This is my first attempt at something like this so I appreciate your help. How much bigger do you suppose it should be?

The easiest (non period) way to add padding is to glue some foam from a camping mat inside the gauntlet, so you should have a good 1/2 inch of allowance (foam thickness plus a few so your hand can move), the best way to know is to test.

If you need anything else, do not hesitate to ask !