MrNoob

Huge Black Stain On Beautiful Brooks Saddle

Hallo guys (and thanks to the posters - I have consulted this forum a couple of times already by reading relevant threads - now I had to turn from passive to active user)

yesterday a friend of mine gave me an almost new brooks saddle. The catch: there is a huge dark stain on it. He had no idea where it came from. I on the other hand am clueless as to whether it could be remedied/removed.

Due to the "shimmer" I would assume that somebody managed to spill oil over the saddle - perhaps while he/she was lubing the chain and the cycle was turned upside down.

My Questions:

• What could have caused such a stain ?
  • Could it be removed ? (perhaps by just applying the process of removing oil stains from leather - link ?)
  • If not - I wouldn't mind using the stained saddle but would like to make sure that the "damaged" leather doesn't become moldy etc. How would I do that ?

Thanks in advace

JD

post-47601-0-67085300-1386690146_thumb.j

post-47601-0-03788600-1386690157_thumb.j

post-47601-0-16094000-1386690359_thumb.j

Looks like it (stain) follows the position of somebody who had an extremely hairy, sweaty bum and perhaps even rode in shorts. If so, it will be hard to remove and all methods I know of, successful and un- will involve harsh chemicals that will strip any remaining waxes-oils from the leather. On the other hand you might be right about an oil stain and that most of it came from the bottom. Anyway, the 'damaged' part is no more mold vulnerable than the rest, maybe even a little less if it is already had the desired mold foods replaced by either petroleum substances or salt from sweat. Just some thoughts from WYO

Looks like it's something that has seeped through from the backside to the topside (or backside side if you will). Oil is a good guess. Though it does remind me somewhat of a stain on an English riding saddle, where a lady rider had... introduced iron to the veg tan.

Why worry? If it starts to mold, cross that bridge when you come to it.

Another thought: If I cannot get rid of the black stain - is there a more civil (avoiding spilling oil) way to produce such dark coloring somewhat uniformly over the entire saddle ?

So perhaps there is some type of dye I could apply to the back side of the saddle that will seep through and produce a similar result ?

Well JD, I assume you are in the UK and not doing too much riding at the moment (It's 75F here and perfect for cycling). My concern is that it may be oild that leaked from the chain or hub when the bike was hung by the wheels. My main concern would be ruoining expensive cycling gear with an oil stain. If it were me, I'd attck it with methelated spirits on a rag and see if I couldn't blot away some of the oil. I'd rather have it moving away from the backside side than towards it. I woould also use a sealer on the backside side to try and prevent any seepage spoiling my expensive cycling shorts.

I used to ride Brooks saddles years ago.

Good Luck!

Bob

First I would try Oxyclic Acid, 2 tablespoons to quart of water. To see if it is of organinc base. If that does not do much you can have a good guess that it is then an oil of some type and then use mineral sprits or something like that. But that will take any finish off and it will have to be refinished. I would try leather stripper, you can get it through several suppliers. Strip the whole seat down and then refinsh or if needed dye to a darker color to hide the stain that remains.

RC