I am having trouble getting even color coverage on my dyed pieces. I am using Angelus spirit based dyes thinned with denatured alcohol and I use a wool dauber to apply the dye. I always apply a VERY light coat of neetsfoot oil and let it dry before dying. I have no problem on narrow pieces where the dauber can cover the whole width in one stroke but on 1" and above I am having trouble because of having to make multiple passes. I have my dye thinned to the point where I can go over several times and get the color I want, but usually if I thin the dye too much for more passes the final color is watered and weak. Any suggestions? I don't have an air gun, and would much rather stick with hand applying the dye. here is a picture of the kind of streaking I am getting.

post-42918-0-36309900-1386697200_thumb.jpost-42918-0-66787000-1386697221_thumb.j

It is not horrible but I really would rather have the color nice and even over the whole piece.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by NicoleAlaine

You mention that the dye is water based, so wouldn't you want to cut it with water? That could be your problem right there unless the manufacturer recommends using denatured alcohol..in which case I would say that it might just take some practice.

Instead of oiling the leather before dying, I like to case it instead. then after the dye has set up, buffing it out usually helps get a more consistent color.

Oops, sorry Alamo, they are spirit based dyes, don't know what I was thinking. I've altered my post :)

Casing before dying is an interesting idea, I never thought of that. How much do you let it dry before dying? The pics you saw were after buffing, although buffing does definitely help.

I case it very close to how I case for tooling. Enough to get the leather damp, and then wait for the surface to come back to almost the original color. Should still be a tiny bit moist on the surface.

All that being said, I am also relatively new to leatherworking myself, so take everything I suggest with a grain of salt.

Your problem is mostly in the amount of dye on your dauber when you first place it on the leather. It's an immediate release of most of it, then as you move along, there's less dye there to apply to the leather, leaving a streak. First thing you can do is dab off your dauber on scrap leather or paper before applying it to the leather. That will even out how much dye there is to flow off and act more like a dry brush application. Don't soak the dauber either. it doesn't take much. Then you can build up your coats. Also, another big one. A dauber should be used in circular motions, not straight lines. Build up an area as if you're coloring with a crayon in small circular motions. That will get rid of most of your streaks. You may still have to apply a second coat to take care of trouble spots, but that's why you start with a reduced mixture anyway.

I'd stick to oil before dye, but don't let it 100% dry. Give it a light coat and let it sit for 10 or 15 minutes. That will help to pull the dye in more evenly.

This the first I came across for show and tell. Might not be the best. But I think you should spring for something like this. I started using the dauber and was very frustrated. Airbrushing gives you SO much control.

http://www.eastwood.com/3-airbrushes-and-compressor-kit.html

Some of the others may be able to suggest a better kit.

Along the lines of what Cyber said, Ill add this. Give up the dauber. Use old socks, t shirts etc. You can even buy boxes of t shirt rags. I tip the bottle up on the cloth, then using another rag, daub off a good amount (2-3 times) this will let you get broader strokes across the piece as opposed to a wet dauber or rag that soaks the first point of contact it touches.

Chuck

Ive recently been using a microfibre, lint free cloth tightly wrapped around some cotton wool. It seems to give a more even application. By far the best method for applying dye over an area is with a cheap airbrush (good airbrushes only for detail or acrylics).

air brush works best for me. = Control