Dollyrkr

Staining On White Paint

any ideas? suggestions? I love painting with white, but whenever I go to stain it, the white is gone - it's brown or grey or what have you, no matter if I use tan stain or what. is there any way to bring out the carvings with a stain without coloring the white paint?

my hunch is no, but maybe someone knows a trick...

How 'bout applying a resist to the white. You can wipe the stain off the areas where the resist was applied.

As said...

first you need to put on a resist, I use 2 layers. One important step to avoid striking is to let it dry properly, at least a day (+24 hours) or so.

Then, if you like the effect that antiquing makes with the black in all cuts etc. but do not want the coloring from ordinary antiquing get the Hi-Liter from Fiebing.

Wow thanks guys! I've never heard of a "resist" - I'm so grateful! So, you can use this and then still apply a stain and it won't color the white but it will tint the cuts? that's awesome! how is the hi-liter different from the eco-flo stains I have?

Wow thanks guys! I've never heard of a "resist" - I'm so grateful! So, you can use this and then still apply a stain and it won't color the white but it will tint the cuts? that's awesome! how is the hi-liter different from the eco-flo stains I have?

"Resist", any clear topcoat, example Super sheen, Angelus acryllic finisher, Resolene, Bag kote, Tan kote...I'm sure there is more.

I use the old Tandy antiquing and I have no idea how the new one works...This is a link to another similar topic I'm in with some more answeres for you :-) http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=52106&hl=

The Hi-Liter does not put an extra tint to your white...Antiquing will.

Oh Tina thank you so much for answering! I was about to order some resist but I HAVE two bottles of super sheen! Apparently what I need is the hi-liter! :)

Yay, thanks leatherworking forum this is awesome. I just made a few white tigers and a unicorn and now I can keep them white but bring out their details! :)

You're more than welcome :-)

If you want to be a bit adventures...You can mix any acryllic paint color with an "extender medium" and make your own "antiquing". I made a white paste on a black basket weave pattern, just put on and whipe it right off with a damp cloth. I can take a picture of it tomorrow if there's any interest.

I'd like to see the pic Tina!

Very interested in seeing it.

I could not find the basket weave piece, but I did find another test piece with loads of impressions in the leather....

post-5624-0-63762800-1386925308_thumb.jp

Edited by Tina