Sign in to follow this  
rundogdave

Lansky Sharpener For Round Knife

Has anyone used a Lansky sharpener on a round knife? Works great on my pocket and sheath knives. It has guides for 30, 25, 20, and 17 degrees. I was thinking about trying the 17 degree guide for my round knife. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Anybody??

I own one but I mainly use my DMT Diamond stones. I haven't tried it with the Lansky set I am sure it will work if you get a pretty flat angle and can get the knife set. Give it a try and let us know.

I tried to use mine for a round knife, but it didn't work out very well. I think you have to sharpen one section at a time, because you can't get the whole blade in one swipe. I ended up ruining the edge from it because I was doing it in sections, but I can't see any other way to do it. I gave up and sent mine out to be sharpened. It's still dull, so now it's a bench ornament :(

I sharpen mine on a piece of leather rubbed with bee,s wax and aluminum oxide powder..We sharpen mostly all of our tools this way.

I used mine on my round knife the other day for the first time. I used the 20 degree setting and did the knife in quarters until I created a burr on the other side progressively with finer stones. Then I buffed it with my 6 inch bench buffer with mild compound. It took a lot of time but it cuts like a hot knife through butter now.

Just finished it using the same method as above, except I did it in halves. I have a small blade. I used the 17 degree guide then stropped it with an old belt with rouge on it. Took a couple of hours, but seemed to work well. Very sharp.

I tried to use mine for a round knife, but it didn't work out very well. I think you have to sharpen one section at a time, because you can't get the whole blade in one swipe

I'm not sure if there's a difference in the Lansky you're using, but they're designed to go over the blade in a "W" pattern - as it states in the instructions that come with the kit, which means that you're not trying to get the whole blade in one stroke, not even on a tiny pocket knife.

I'm not sure if there's a difference in the Lansky you're using, but they're designed to go over the blade in a "W" pattern - as it states in the instructions that come with the kit, which means that you're not trying to get the whole blade in one stroke, not even on a tiny pocket knife.

No wonder mine is so dull..I didn't read the instructions properly :D Thanks Cyber, I'll try it again tomorrow and see if I can do any better.