Davy

Stamping examples 2

These are the filled in and expanded versions of the basket weave pattern of Als . Its a bit rough and crooked but the light was bad and I was in a hurry . (thats my excuse and I'm stickin to it) . I've probably loaded it up with a few too many tools here which tends to cover some of them and they dont look as crisp as they should . Comments much appreciated good or bad . Dave .leather_plaque_015a.jpg

leather_plaque_016a.jpg

post-7378-1222518646_thumb.jpg

post-7378-1222518682_thumb.jpg

These are the filled in and expanded versions of the basket weave pattern of Als . Its a bit rough and crooked but the light was bad and I was in a hurry . (thats my excuse and I'm stickin to it) . I've probably loaded it up with a few too many tools here which tends to cover some of them and they dont look as crisp as they should . Comments much appreciated good or bad . Dave .leather_plaque_015a.jpg

leather_plaque_016a.jpg

WOW! That looks like persian ironwork or something! Would you be so kind as to post a picture of the individual stamps that you used? Maybe random stamps on a scrap piece of leather?

Yep . I'll do it tomorrow Pete i'm just about to hit the sack right now

Amazing! It would be neat to see a sequence of this patter to see how you do it and keep it on order.

Art

Heres the stamps i used in that pattern . left to right , starting top left . I think thats the order they were done . some were used more than once in different areas so i didnt put em in again . sort of stuffed up the sequence though . 37 stamps plus a dot from my modeller . I'd like to do a sequence , but it will take heaps of space , any ideas how on to do it easy ? leather_plaque_025a.jpg

post-7378-1222559229_thumb.jpg

Wow Davy!

If this isn't very advanced I don't know what is. Rubicks cube is a piece of cake compared to this (and I never finished the cube).

Tom

great to see this..reminds me of lace

Try making an Instructable.

Beautiful!

leather_plaque_016a.jpg

:You_Rock_Emoticon: That is just amazingly intricate!

Greg

Davey,

Very nice and intricate stamping. That would survive well on a bike seat!..... Everything relates to bike seats in my shop..... ha ha

Beautiful work!

David Theobald

Hi Davy, these are very inspiring! Looking forward to that tutorial. On the wall plaque you posted on the first thread, what kind of thickness is the leather? The impression look very deep.

Looking forward to seeing lots more from you.

Thanks Corvus ! Most of the leather I get or prefer to work with is 3.5mm , if i need it thinner I split it down to size . The reason i like it so thick is because I use the tips of the tools to connect with each other , so I dont usually hit the tool straight down , moreso at an angle , unless I want the whole imprint of the tool . For example a basket weave stamp , 9 times out of 10 I will hit straight . when I use veiners , eyelash tools or batwings the tips/ends are the most important part . A tutorial will be forthcoming as I have just started getting my act together setting up my machines , hand tools , benches and the hundreds of patterns I just found again the other day . If I dont make something soon to post here people will get the idea that all i do is stamp and not make stuff . will post some pictures of my new workshop when its set up in the next couple of weeks . cheers , Dave !

Thanks Corvus ! Most of the leather I get or prefer to work with is 3.5mm , if i need it thinner I split it down to size . The reason i like it so thick is because I use the tips of the tools to connect with each other , so I dont usually hit the tool straight down , moreso at an angle , unless I want the whole imprint of the tool . For example a basket weave stamp , 9 times out of 10 I will hit straight . when I use veiners , eyelash tools or batwings the tips/ends are the most important part . A tutorial will be forthcoming as I have just started getting my act together setting up my machines , hand tools , benches and the hundreds of patterns I just found again the other day . If I dont make something soon to post here people will get the idea that all i do is stamp and not make stuff . will post some pictures of my new workshop when its set up in the next couple of weeks . cheers , Dave !

Is there some hand painting on the plaque? I actually had a bit of a go at this technique last night - just on a tiny scrap of leather otherwise I would have taken a picture - and I kind of see what you are doing from that much clearer for it but it also highlights just how good you are at it! I have to say it quickly made me look at my stamps in a new way, not just seeing the whole but small parts of them as well. My partner liked the look of your work too, he would be great at doing something like this I think. Looking forward to seeing more :)

Yep , sure is some painting on there , but its a very old piece and the stains have faded a bit although when it was painted I toned it down a bit otherwise it would have looked like a dogs breakfast . One of the things to keep in mind when stamping like this is to allow for how the antique will affect its look when finished and also wether it will be painted or not . That pattern I posted here most recently doesnt lend itself to painting as the tooling is so fine , the individual colors not only get lost in the smaller shapes but to just get your brush to paint those small shapes is really an effort to not get any runs or mistakes . Good to see you trying new stuff . If you need any help with this style just let me know and i'll help as much as i can . Cheers , Dave .

My daughter walked up while I was reviewing the photo and she said.... "Look at all the King Tut Monkeys!"

She then pointed it out to me. I hope you do not take this as an insult to your work, because that is not the intent.

She is 11 y/o and pointed it out. I thought it was cute and when I see the photo it is always there now!

Again I think the pattern is so creative but kind of looking at clouds sometimes we see figures and animals.

monkey.jpg

Also just to the right and left of the monkey do you see skulls wearing beanie/skully type caps?

Allen

post-7341-1224503822_thumb.jpg

Hey Dave,

remember me Tania I came over to your place a couple of years ago and you showed me the basics on how to get started gave me lots of encouragement and hit me with your favourite saying "Think outside the box".

It was by sheer luck that I caught your letter to the guild on the website, when i clicked on it led me to this site - so I thought hey Ill join up to get in touch with you.

Jee I love those stamping pics its true as one person commented on it looks like Iron work or some sort of Islamic design.

Im so glad your getting back into it, hey your workshop sounds cools, man I want to come over and see your stuff.

Im sorry to here that the guild hasn't responded to your letter Ill ask them whats going on.

Hey Dave if your setting up a workshop what are you going to do _ start teaching?, if so count me in as one of your students or even your apprentice I really want to learn your techniques.

Gotta go Im on the library computer, will be in touch, Sooo great to read about you Flame

yes allen , you and your daughter have said what lots of people have said over the years , you see some different images when you look at the patterns . turn it upside down and you will see something different again , thanks also for the kind words . tania, havent seen you for yonks , hows it going , i bet your work is going ahead in leaps and bounds , you're without a doubt one of the keenest leatherworkers I've ever met . i'll send you a pm and give you my contact details again . You're gonna love this site , best on the net .

Cheers , Dave .

Really Nice work... I,d like to see more :cheers:

WOW! That looks like persian ironwork or something! Would you be so kind as to post a picture of the individual stamps that you used? Maybe random stamps on a scrap piece of leather?

That's incredible.....

:You_Rock_Emoticon:

Sandy