VanDutch

Hi From Downunder

Hi everyone...

A newbie that is wanting to learn how to make motorcycle saddlebags initially and develop skills then try my hand at making seats. My longer term goal is to eventually start a business in motorcycle accessories.

For now, where do I start... I don't have any tools etc.. This is where Im hoping some of you can point me in the right direction. Initially I assume is should learn hand stitching before venturing too far.

What hand tools do I need, where to buy tools, leather etc...

Books, DVD's?

There doesn't appear to be many classes here in australia so maybe even a mentor. Would be great to make contact with someone that would be willing to give me a few pointers.

cheers

Frans

Welcome Frans!

I would go to the Tandy site www.tandyleatherfactory.com and watch some of the videos and look over their products to familiarize yourself with the craft. You will find that the basics will help you decide what you need and not need. You will learn a lot here on this site from the seasoned professional posts. Good Luck

Edited by benlilly1

Hi frans, welcome to the world of leather...i agree, tandy is a great site and http://birdsall-leather.com.au are also very good and hold a lot of classes. They are located in Botany NSW. If you ever get to melbourne, Lefflers (http://www.leffler.com.au) is worth a visit..be prepared to lose at least a couple of hours in this leather wonderland. And don't forget your friends Google and Youtube. You have already found the best source of info here by finding this forum.

My suggestion would be to start with pan seats. I think they are a lot simpler than bags, basically a metal sandwich with leather as the bread. I decided to only make these types of seats as there are only a couple of us doing it in australia. And that is now minus one, as i have stopped taking orders for seats. I was finding all the lacing too hard on my hands and i also basically got sick of making them. So have a look here

http://leatherworker...owforum=63 I taught myself from these tutorials. Especially Davids Christian seat at the top.

Cheers

Caroline (Geelong Vic)

Edited by leatheroo

Hey Benlilly1 and Caroline..

Thanks heaps for the replies and advice...

G'Day Mate (had to throw that in). The Tandy shop in Sydney is situated in Minto which puts it within your reach for a visit. If you contact them and speak to Rod (the Manager) ask him for a catalogue. They are very efficient with mail orders. I live on the Central Coast which is a two and a half hour drive so use Tandy quite often. The quality of the leather at Birdsalls is better that Tandy in my opinion. The contacts at Birdsalls are Tracy and Noel and their mail order is also excellent. There is another supplier in Queensland that has good quality kangaroo lacing called MACLACE.

The best book to get you started is "The art of hand sewing leather" by Al Stohlman. There is also available a "Motorcycle Accessory Pattern Pak". Both Birdsalls and Tandy stock these publications. Any time you get stuck give me a call and we will work a solution. My web page is http://www.myleatherwork.com.

regards,

TapTapTap

Hi Frans, If you haven't bought any tools yet you could try Tandy at MINTO. They have a special on sale until 24th December which is a BASIC HAND STITCHING KIT for $43.19 (normal retail $86.29).

Regards,

TapTapTap

G'Day Mate (had to throw that in). The Tandy shop in Sydney is situated in Minto which puts it within your reach for a visit. If you contact them and speak to Rod (the Manager) ask him for a catalogue. They are very efficient with mail orders. I live on the Central Coast which is a two and a half hour drive so use Tandy quite often. The quality of the leather at Birdsalls is better that Tandy in my opinion. The contacts at Birdsalls are Tracy and Noel and their mail order is also excellent. There is another supplier in Queensland that has good quality kangaroo lacing called MACLACE.

The best book to get you started is "The art of hand sewing leather" by Al Stohlman. There is also available a "Motorcycle Accessory Pattern Pak". Both Birdsalls and Tandy stock these publications. Any time you get stuck give me a call and we will work a solution. My web page is http://www.myleatherwork.com.

regards,

TapTapTap

Hey Tap.

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. I am currently bidding for some tools on ebay plus my partner has a Xmas surpise for me. Will wait until the new year and then purchase more tools & books.

Greatly appreciate your offer for assistance. I just may give you a call in the new year..

all the best and have a great Xmas.

cheers

Frans