So this is the riflesling wich I used the groover and agonized over. There was a thread on riflescabbards and borders so I used it but a little bit simplified. I was going to use tri-weave to fill up the insid area but after the center row I thought it looked finished so just added customers name with stylus instead. I also got the pattern from snooping around the net.

I don't like the look with the rivets like that but He wants it ASAP and I have three more to for him so gonna look into it for next one. Got an idea wich is also something I saw on the net and liked.

The buckles are on the inside and I realise it can cause an itch but hunting season is such that He will have a thick jacket so I don't think it'll be a prob. Also set the buckles a bit loose so they can swivel and follow the motion of the body. They are actually too big but once again, he wants is asap.

Any critiques welcome

Tom

IMG_8076_01.jpg

IMG_8079_01.jpg

IMG_8083_01.jpg

post-5146-1222607235_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1222607248_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1222607264_thumb.jpg

I don't see anything to critique, Tom, well except there are not any skulls anywhere..... :-P

Top notch wok as always!!!

Great job Bro!!

Great Job, Tom! You do such beautiful work. I'm sure he will like it.

Tom.... what was so hard about that ,You did very well.. :blahblahblah: so fotrh and so on.. :thumbsup:

Thanks you all!

Luke, I got the second run down alot better with the tips I got but the grooving step took far to long time and with scrutiny the grooves are not perfect. The might hold up a stitching line so so.

Cutting time down would be a good thing, I wanna hang around with you guys too.. :grouphug5vj5:

After seeing the other grooving tool I feel hope!

Tom

Looks awesome Tom, very clean work.Dave

Tom it looks great! That's also a very good picture of it.

Art

It looks great Tom!!! Grooves look really good too!!!

What dye/finish combo did you use???

What are the measurements of it buckled??

Tim

I love Tom's style. Every piece he makes looks like it was carved and hammered by a viking warlord: solid.

And Tom, I have total marble envy. That's a great workbench!

i knew that border deal looked oddly familiar tommy boy :spoton: <--- WTF is that emoticon doing or protraying??

doesn't look to bad a'tall tom!!...wouldn't envy doing that loooooooong center triweave and keeping it straight n'all... :gun:

this may be of some interest to ya tom...its an on the fly adjustable sling, with a knot type slide deal...called a montana sling...if ya can figure out how the slide is done...hard to find good pics of it front & back etc...

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0024463226436a.shtml

darryl :cheers:

Looks awesome Tom, very clean work.Dave
Tom it looks great! That's also a very good picture of it.

Art

What other grooving tool?????

Thanks DC and Art! Really just stuff I pick up here (and scavenging the net)and ya'll helped me out with this one and grooving probs. The grooves would be crap if you hadn't, so big thanks to all Good members here. This was not sheened so I used a Fiebings product specially blended for my supplier (with Swedish printing too) and from what I can tell from Fiebings homepage it is something like Aussie leather conditioner but my supplier has extra beeswax added. Other than that they can just give me acrylics (they love supersheen) and a Danish product wich is something like the one I got now. One good hour of buffing has given very little, I'm gonna try some but it does look good any way. Gonna try a water drop on it too.

I do have a balm with carnuba cream (also Danish, ROC company) but very hard to get it on. It streaks veary easily and like to clean of antiques very well.

Here you go Brad, look at Darryls post waaay down in the thread: http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?s...amp;#entry63986

Tom

It looks great Tom!!! Grooves look really good too!!!

What dye/finish combo did you use???

What are the measurements of it buckled??

Tim

Thank you Timbo!

I used Tandys mahogany antique stain topped of with a splash (mixed together) Fiebings pro oil red to make it look richer, mahogany is strange, sometimes it comes utd like a dull grey and sometimes like I have now. I used it all the time years back for bracers and always got good results with it. Strange, I wonder if there can be any inconsitencys in the leather reacting with the colour? So topped it with red cause my test piece pointed towards dull grey.

Buckled at it's longest position it is 39,76" (1010mm) Don't know what that is in feet but I think you're more on top of that than me;-)

That is what he wants and I had just the material to throw in 3-4 inches at both ends

I love Tom's style. Every piece he makes looks like it was carved and hammered by a viking warlord: solid.

And Tom, I have total marble envy. That's a great workbench!

Ah Schno, thanks alot! You make me very proud, my ego was high allready so now I don't know where to put it anymore;-) My viking helmet sits two inches above my head now;-)

I seriously recommend everyone here to check out Schno's archers bracer. That one got me in a envy.

My workbench is really great and big. I hate to sit over a smaller stone because I have to raise my arms higher wich is punushment to my neck.

Over here in Sweden marble table tops is not a very "in thing" today so the fleamarkets often have them for sale VEEEERY cheap. I got mine for free after my friends father died and the fleamarket didn't want the other one he had!! If I had only known this before I promised him a rodtube in return;-)

I'd love to see you at one of our public whisky tests with about one hundred people gathered over no drinking problems. Our Bushmills special was a great hit.

i knew that border deal looked oddly familiar tommy boy :spoton: <--- WTF is that emoticon doing or protraying??

doesn't look to bad a'tall tom!!...wouldn't envy doing that loooooooong center triweave and keeping it straight n'all... :gun:

this may be of some interest to ya tom...its an on the fly adjustable sling, with a knot type slide deal...called a montana sling...if ya can figure out how the slide is done...hard to find good pics of it front & back etc...

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0024463226436a.shtml

darryl :cheers:

:cheers: Darryl!

Is that my sore thumb from grooving;-?

The center tri-weave was the easiest part I think. it is not 100% percent straight but just enough to look very good.

That sling sure was hard to figure out. I've seen another solution that is not on the fly but it looks very good so I'm thinking of using something similar. I looked at it long enough to understand the basics of it but still have to figure out a good way to do it so hopefully that will put my own characteristics to it if I do it.

Tom

Edited by TomSwede

Had I know the good response on fore hand I'd save the post until I had the time to take the closeups. The forum looked dead earlier today so I threw up the overall pics anyways.

Well here are some closeups, surely you can see some inconsistencys here and there. There is a few marks before the rivets at the wider part and these are those grip marks from the manufacturing process that I hided in the tri-weave and also a few bad lines from my attempts at scribing a guideline.

It'd be nice if I had a smaller buckle at the narrow part. I did plan to go with a wider strap there but turns out it wouldn't fit to the rifle that way.

Flame on!

Tom

IMG_8084_01.jpg

IMG_8085_01.jpg

IMG_8086_01.jpg

IMG_8087_01.jpg

post-5146-1222645699_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1222645713_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1222645867_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1222646006_thumb.jpg

Had I know the good response on fore hand I'd save the post until I had the time to take the closeups. The forum looked dead earlier today so I threw up the overall pics anyways.

Well here are some closeups, surely you can see some inconsistencys here and there. There is a few marks before the rivets at the wider part and these are those grip marks from the manufacturing process that I hided in the tri-weave and also a few bad lines from my attempts at scribing a guideline.

It'd be nice if I had a smaller buckle at the narrow part. I did plan to go with a wider strap there but turns out it wouldn't fit to the rifle that way.

Flame on!

Tom

Supernice looking rifflesling you have there "Viking Tom" :-)

The coloring came out absolutly very nice, Love it.

Thanks Tina!

I like the colour very much too, a little bit more red wouldn't have hurt for my personal pref but I do have the customer to consider;-)

Tom

Good job, Tom! I too, like the color and I like the buckles you used. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Thanks Crystal! The buckles look great, just should have had them in one size smaller. Hard to find buckles here and even when I do it costs to sit on too much stock.

Tom

great job tom...loving the grooves :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Thank you Caroline! We're groovin on!!

Tom

Tom!

You are a force to be reckoned with!

That's an awesome piece! Love the colors!!

Thanks you so much Troy!!

Loved the pics in show your self!

Tom

Tom, I sent you a PM but also thought to ask on here as other people might want to know how.......but how did you do the name with a stylus and make it so deep????

It looks great!!!

Tim

Tom, I sent you a PM but also thought to ask on here as other people might want to know how.......but how did you do the name with a stylus and make it so deep????

It looks great!!!

Tim

Here is a copy of my reply to Tim so all can see. I think I talked about this with the cig. box aswell.

Hi Tim! You're right. Just like when tracing with transferfilm the design to carve, I traced the name with film and I like the leather thoroughly cased and not too wet. It is much easier to use transfer film first and then in the end, after all tooling/stamping just go over it with the stylus once again, carefully, and give it a little more depth.

The antiquing does the job so be careful when wiping it off because it is not very deep in the leather really.

I aslo did this on the complex letters of the cig.box posted some 2 weeks ago and there I used heavier antiquing to bring out details from the black backgrounding.

Check it out if you haven't seen, on the board or my blog.

Experiment with it, you get the hang of it in no time if you have treced with film before.

Tom

<snip>

Any critiques welcome

Tom

Hi Tom, looking really good, i like the outside border alot.

Funny, things like this sling to my eye, need to be sewn as much for visual effect as for strength and "body" to the piece - but your "edge" pattern negates that in this instance, cool...

Some things i pick up on, because you've asked: and as always - all of this is in "my humble opinion", as there is no right or wrong in craft and art.

>the stitching channels are a bit too wide and deep - use a smaller head, or thinner blade...

>the brass rivets are too large in diameter - try #9/12 copper burr/stake rivets in this application, they'd be cool.

>the tri-weave looks good in the narrow portion of the taper, but in the wider portion of the strap, it looks lonely ,the pattern almost needs some transition to the "background"...maybe some stipling, or a light tap with a pear shader/crosshatch pattern..i dunno, just seems very stark to me, the tri-weave is just hanging out there with nothing to ground it

>consider a "bigger" edger to use on your strap edge to round it off more, looks a little hard to me in this pic

looks good man, i like that edge pattern, whats the trick to pull it off?

steveb