DaBaer

Back In The Saddle Again... So To Speak.

Greetings from central Arizona. I am getting back into leather work after a 30 year absence. I used to do it years ago but concentrated on furniture making so I did't have any time for leather work. I did a reasonable job of making furniture and would still be doing it but I developed an allergy to various types of saw dust so for health reasons I have stopped leather working and have decided to devote my efforts into leather crafting. I did mostly carving in the past and intend to get back into that aspect. This looks like a good spot making saw dust. Now I will concentrate on leather craft. This seems to be a good place to learn and hone my skills, which right now are pretty dusty.

Hello and welcome :)

There is a ton of info on here and some amazing leather workers of all sorts and specialties. Ask questions show your work, share and learn.

Sorry to hear about your allergies..was it a specific wood?? Some exotics get my skin itching if I am not careful when working them.

What sort of leather work did you do and are you going to do?

Hobby or full time job leather working??

The allergy started out with Walnut but as it got worse it turned out that there were to many variaties to worry about. If I walk into an area where there is a lot of sawdust in the air I will have a reaction so I just avoid any contact with saw dust. My wife sanitized my shop and I got rid of all my wood working tools but even today if I take something down and there is a little saw dust on it it is time for the benedril. I could take shots for it but I am not one for taking a lot of meds so I just avoid the contact as much as possible. In the past mostly made tack and sold it. I did some stamping and carving and that is what I want to concentrate on going further.

DaBaer, I developed some really bad allergies a few years ago too... and went through a bunch of stuff to try to control them. (I hate taking a bunch of meds too) I finally tried acupuncture and it is amazing! It worked for me!

DaBaer, I developed some really bad allergies a few years ago too... and went through a bunch of stuff to try to control them. (I hate taking a bunch of meds too) I finally tried acupuncture and it is amazing! It worked for me!

yes I have herd other mention acupuncture but I am allergic to needles..... :spoton: OK so I am a chicken.

Hahaha... me too!! It feels like a mosquito biting you. Honest! She puts the first one in me and I nod off to sleep for half an hour. I was amazed!! I hear you though....