MrLentz

Applying Oil And Wax With Air Compressor?

I am wondering if anyone has used an air compressor to apply oil to their leather and even wax?

Bascially I am trying to speed things up as right now I am applying oil by hand with a shop towel. I was thinking I might be able to spray it on. Dipping it is probably out of the question?

Any other ideas are much appreciated!

Thanks!

You need to add a bunch of details, my friend.

Are you putting oil on a Roman shield to be used in the arena, . . . a billfold, . . . a cattle whip?

Are you trying to use candle wax, . . . Johnson's paste, . . . ???

No, . . . dipping is not out of the question, . . . I personally dip all my dog leashes, . . . for oil and for dye.

May God bless,

Dwight

Well, I am making a bunch of wallets out of 3/4 oz leather. I first use extra virgin olive oil, then I rub in Mahoney's walnut oil and beeswax mixture. The wax is already very fluid so it easily rubs in and absorbs. I have had trouble over oiling small pieces in the past - so I don't know if dipping them would work too well.

Thoughts?

My first inclination would be to oil the blank hide before anything else is done.

You'ld just have to experiment with the oil/wax combo, . . . my guess is it wouldn't work as it is probably too thick, . . . but someone more knowledgeable than myself may say differently.

May God bless,

Dwight

Dwight - I didnt think about oiling the entire hide first, I guess I always thought this would prevent the dye from penetrating. Is this not the case as long as you let the oiled hide sit for a while?

Also - do you have any recomendations for another all-natural wax mixture? I like that the Mahoney's is plain walnut oil, beeswax and palm oil. Are there any good liquid ones without the chemicals?

Thanks!

Edited by MrLentz

A lot of people have come to the conclusion that oil will prevent dye from absorbing in. This just isn't the case. I think it's because we've all learned at some point that oil on metal will prevent paint adhesion. Since the dye isn't adhering to, but is soaking into the leather, it's really no problem at all. In fact, the oil HELPS the dye penetrate. Keep in mind that the whole point of oiling is to replenish the natural oils that the animal produced on its own.

For a good wax, I love Montana Pitch Blend. It's a mixture of Mink Oil, Pine Pitch, and Beeswax. You'll never spray it on though - it should be rubbed in with your fingers and then buffed as a final step.

Actually - I have had some trouble dyeing my leather where my finger recently touched it. It seems as if the oil in my finger temporarily keeps the dye from penetrating. I resolved this by using 600 grit sandpaper on the spots that weren't absorbing.

Actually - I have had some trouble dyeing my leather where my finger recently touched it. It seems as if the oil in my finger temporarily keeps the dye from penetrating. I resolved this by using 600 grit sandpaper on the spots that weren't absorbing.

The oil in your fingers are a little bit different. It's actually a mixture of the oils and everything else you touch. Before you dye, wipe your piece down with some alcohol - either denatured or isopropyl. The problem usually presents itself the most when you press down with oily fingers on slightly wet leather. Another related issue is if you do it with metal particles on your hand from gripping your tools. This SHOULD NOT be rubbed with alcohol. If it's a slightly grey finger print or smudge - DO NOT RUB. Instead, get some pure lemon juice and dab it on then let it sit. The mark will dissapear, then you can clean it with alcohol and get back to dying. If you rub it, you'll push the particles into the leather and they'll be there for good.