Serenitynow

Leather Braiding Instruction

I'm new to leatherworker.net and I'm looking for leather braiding instruction here in Portland, OR. Does anyone know a braiding master or someone who makes horse tack who might be willing to teach me? I have Bruce Grant's book and I've taught myself to do a number of different braids but I am having trouble finishing the braids when using a core—so that they core is completely hidden. I'm also looking for ways to attach to an o-ring, learn more knots and improve my overall technique. I've seen quite a few people on here who teach at tradeshows that are coming up in the next year but I was hoping for something before March. I've also read about a number of great dvd's that I'm considering purchasing. Any help or guidance appreciated.

Edited by Serenitynow

I've read the term you're looking for is "braiding master"...not "master braider"...

I can recommend a book that might help with what you're trying to do...it's "Braiding Fine Leather" by David Morgan...it covers braiding around a core, attaching to an o-ring, etc.

There's no one in my area that I can learn from, so I've been learning from here and also a lot from YouTube.

Good luck...hopefully there's someone in your area that can/will teach you. I'd like to hear of any DVD's that only focus on braiding also.

Edited by TXAG

Oh sorry, yes, I mean a braiding master! I'll check out the book you recommended. I too have been watching a lot on youtube--such a great resource. I've read Robert Black has some good DVDs as well as the Introduction to Rawhide Braiding with Bryan Neubert

I have a friend in the Seattle, WA area that may be able to help you. He goes by KnotHead on here. You might want to contact him about some instructing.

Thanks very much Joe. I really appreciate the lead!

Hi all...

Brian...

Bryan Neubert has 2 DVD's. The one you mentioned and a more advanced one that deals with a lot of button work. You can rent them on giddyupflix.com and see if they will work for you. At least that's what the website says. I've never used their services but read about them on here. Brad

I don't have any use whatsoever for that dvd rental place. Is there anywhere that just sells the dvd's outright? I have less than zero intention of paying $12 a month to rent one dvd at a time. That's ridiculous.

edit...I see now that they're available on Bryan's website...I will just order them there instead of getting gouged by the rental place.

Edited by TXAG

TXAG, it was just a suggestion for a place to try. Nobodies forcing you to rent it or use those services. I was just responding to Serenitynow . Brad

I just wanted to save others from wasting their time going there and signing up for an account to see their pricing like I did. I never patronize places that gouge like that, so wanted to warn others before they wasted their time if they don't care for places like that either. That's all.

This is a public forum and if you don't want anyone else's responses except for hers, you should've pm'ed that to her. Other people besides you two read these questions for info. That's why I was trying to give everyone else a heads-up. You are obviously ok with that place, so my reply wasn't directed to you.

Edited by TXAG

Well I signed up at giddyup and rented the 2 dvds. The first one was good, the second advanced one I was really disappointed in. Watched them both and returned them, then canceled subscription. So for $12 dollars instead of over $100.00 if purchased I got to check them out. Glad I did not purchase them.

Oh wow, that's a lot of $ saved!

I think the first one was the best. I was hoping the advanced would be good, but did not have as much on it as the description said. Just my opinion. Yes his dvd's are not cheap. Oh and I rented one on horsehair braiding. It was amazing to see this latino man making a hatband. Dvd was poorly done but was still interesting to watch.

Edited by fancye9876

There are a few really good DVD's out there. Barb at Y-Knot Lace, www.y-knotlace.com has Robert Blacks DVD's. You can also look up Robert Black, Marlinspike Knot Works on you tube. He has teh best DVD's for braiding that I have seen. I have seen Brian Neuberts, and I have 4 Strands of Rawhide. Once you see Robert's stuff on you tube, you will understand why his are some of the best out there.

Yes, I have Robert Blacks and they are excellant for beginning. Could not have done it without his instruction.

I might be able to answer some of your questions about braiding , Call me 541-567-3533