Okay, I have quite a few questions in regards to sealants/finishes for acrylic paint!

What would you consider to be the most durable sealant/finish to go over acrylic paint on an item that will be used outdoors and must withstand a lot use?

Is there a certain sealant you put on the paint prior to using the finish?

I've heard that Resolene is the best to use, is that true?

If so, how many 50/50 coats do you put on the item?

How many coats of sealant prior to Resolene?

Thank you for your time! :)

What would you consider to be the most durable sealant/finish to go over acrylic paint on an item that will be used outdoors and must withstand a lot use? Neat Lac or Clear Lac, but I would still use resolene as I like it. You asked most durable.

Is there a certain sealant you put on the paint prior to using the finish? No, I just did a pink holster and did not use a sealant.

I've heard that Resolene is the best to use, is that true? Thats like asking Ford or Chevy. Resolene is one of the ones that will work well. Other people like other things.

If so, how many 50/50 coats do you put on the item? Normally 2

How many coats of sealant prior to Resolene? None.

relax, its easier than it seems.

Michael.

How many coats of Resolene? Depends on how heavy your coat is - I do 3 - 4 LIGHT coats of 50/50 Resolene.

I prefer it because it's water and UV resistant.

What to put over the paint before the Resolene? The results will be better with varnish over the paint and under the Resolene. It evens out the paint and protects it from the Resolene, which can re-activate the paint since they're both acrylic. It's also another layer to protect it all together. It's what's used by world class painters to protect the color on their paintings - and those are just sitting in a gallery.

Thanks for the replies!

I need something that is water and UV resistant so I guess Resolene would be my best choice.

Is Angelus High Gloss Finisher an acceptable product to use as a varnish over my paint prior to applying my Resolene? How many coats?

Am I better off to airbrush on my Resolene rather than apply it with a brush/dauber/etc?

Is Angelus High Gloss Finisher an acceptable product to use as a varnish over my paint prior to applying my Resolene? How many coats?

It's not varnish. It's their version of an acrylic top coat. I don't know if it has the same properties as Resolene though, but it's the same type of product.

I use Liquitex Satin Varnish, but they have different levels of gloss available. One coat is enough. Don't be frightened by the price-tag either - it will go a LONG way. I prefer to airbrush Resolene when possible. It just goes on a lot better that way. If you do, I'd say 3 - 4 coats.

Here's a guitar strap with white acrylic paint, Liquitex Varnish over the paint only, and then airbrushed Resolene over the entire strap. If you scroll through my gallery, there's another one with gold artwork that's also got the Varnish over the gold paint.

Bite The Bullet Guitar Strap

Bite The Bullet Guitar Strap - Back

Bite The Bullet Guitar Strap - Front

Edited by Cyberthrasher

Interesting! I will definitely be buying a varnish then, and if its a good product, price doesnt bother me. You get what you pay for. Do you suggest airbrushing the varnish on?

NO! Always brush and don't move it around more than you have to. It's a sensitive product. The more you work it, it will end up getting cloudy and look funny. Also, when you pour some out to use, pour a couple drops and just get a little bit on your brush. It's quite amazing how it covers. Admittedly, I've never tried to airbrush it, but seeing what it does when you work it too much, I wouldn't. If you're gentle when brushing it, it will glide right on and come out looking like a layer of glass with absolutely no streaks.

Flexible enough for what I use it on. I ONLY cover the portions that have color with varnish. I've never experimented with a large coverage area to see how it bends. It doesn't go on thick though, so I wouldn't imagine it would be a huge problem.

Okay. I would be using it on horse tack like spurs straps, nosebands, etc. So it would need to be pretty flexible especially if the painted design covered the whole surface. Ill have to look into that. :)

Okay. I would be using it on horse tack like spurs straps, nosebands, etc. So it would need to be pretty flexible especially if the painted design covered the whole surface. Ill have to look into that. :)

I would verify that there isn't an available dye color first. Dye will ALWAYS be better than paint.

As long as you don't pile things on thick, you should be fine with that type of product.

Angelus has quite a large selection of colors in their dyes, and their acrylic paints are really good too.