SteveBrambley

Greetings from Devon, West of England

Hi,

Well, almost a machine for everything, maybe one day, trouble is we're running out of space!

No, we don't dye our own leather, there's no need in our type of work.

I don't know about an apprentice, but you are quite welcome to come along and have a closer look, if you wish.

Steve

There must be a lot of fancy computer assisted machinery coming out these days? Laser cutters and the like?

Don't worry, I'm only joking about the apprenticeship :lol: I would love to have a look at how you do things though, could I perhaps tag on to Rays visit? (If no one minds) I'm very much a beginner with leather work and so although there are lots of things I want to know I probably can't ask the right questions as yet ... I might learn more just watching and listening to other people talk,if that makes sense :popcorn:

They look very good bags but I am not sure of the purpose of the bucket bag, what were you imagining it woild but used for.

the box shaped bag , did you use a corner stitcher to sew it . If so what type ?

the box shaped bag , did you use a corner stitcher to sew it . If so what type ?

Hi Davy,

Yes, I used a Singer 45Ksv100 corner stitcher for the 'box shaped bag' (Rifle Magazine). Although they are rare machines these days, we actually have three of them, one can be seen in one of the photos of our workshop, I posted the other day; there are some better, more detailed photos of it, and one of our others, on the Needlebar.org website. I have been wondering whether anybody else uses these machines? I have heard rumours of two, possibly three, other people in the UK using them, but I don't know who. I would really like to hear from anyone else that uses them.

Steve

There must be a lot of fancy computer assisted machinery coming out these days? Laser cutters and the like?

Don't worry, I'm only joking about the apprenticeship :lol: I would love to have a look at how you do things though, could I perhaps tag on to Rays visit? (If no one minds) I'm very much a beginner with leather work and so although there are lots of things I want to know I probably can't ask the right questions as yet ... I might learn more just watching and listening to other people talk,if that makes sense :popcorn:

Hi,

Yes there are, the 'Directron SC' series come to mind. These are computer controlled sewing machines that allow any unskilled person to produce even the heaviest of leathergoods, however, they reduce the worker to no more than a 'machine minder'.

I'm sure that you could tag onto Ray's visit, though I don't know when this will be.

Steve

Thanks Steve . i have 2 Pederson corner stitchers , 1 i have for spares and the is in operation although with wear over the years i have no stitch length adjustment left to make a longer stitch . can you post a link to the needlebar site , i wouldnt mind checking out that 45K . I used to have a 45K cylinder arm straight sewer , it couldnt possibly be anything like that , could it ? The pederson i use ise similar to a sole stitcher , bloody big giant lump of a thing . cheers , Dave .

Thanks Steve . i have 2 Pederson corner stitchers , 1 i have for spares and the is in operation although with wear over the years i have no stitch length adjustment left to make a longer stitch . can you post a link to the needlebar site , i wouldnt mind checking out that 45K . I used to have a 45K cylinder arm straight sewer , it couldnt possibly be anything like that , could it ? The pederson i use ise similar to a sole stitcher , bloody big giant lump of a thing . cheers , Dave .

Hi Dave,

I find this very interesting, I have never heared of a 'Pederson' before, where were they made? Very few people in the UK have ever heard of, let alone seen a 'Singer' corner stitcher, even our sewing machine mechanic had never seen one in 30 years in the business! Therefore, to find out there are other types about is very suprising to me; any chance of a photo?

Here is the link to the needlebar: www.needlebar.org/cm/displayimage.php?album=243&pos=19

Steve

Here ya go steve . the pederson corner stitcher , a swedish machine for making old style suitcases . Coupla other gadgets , and my other stuff , starting to get ready for making stuff again . Still got to set up my upper closing mc , gap shears , splitter , guillotine and long post rivet machine . little fly press and foil printer as well . I wouldnt mind your strap cutter in my shed too !

leather_plaque_030a.jpgleather_plaque_031a.jpgleather_plaque_024a.jpgleather_plaque_032a.jpgleather_plaque_034a.jpgleather_plaque_035a.jpgleather_plaque_036a.jpg

post-7378-1223538324_thumb.jpg

post-7378-1223541136_thumb.jpg

post-7378-1223541243_thumb.jpg

post-7378-1223541265_thumb.jpg

post-7378-1223541284_thumb.jpg

post-7378-1223541319_thumb.jpg

post-7378-1223541335_thumb.jpg

Here ya go steve . the pederson corner stitcher , a swedish machine for making old style suitcases . Coupla other gadgets , and my other stuff , starting to get ready for making stuff again . Still got to set up my upper closing mc , gap shears , splitter , guillotine and long post rivet machine . little fly press and foil printer as well . I wouldnt mind your strap cutter in my shed too !

Thanks Dave, what an incredible looking machine! I see what you mean about it looking like a shoe sole stitcher! Does it use a curved needle, by any chance? Our late father always wanted a corner stitcher, back in the 1960s, when he was making bespoke briefcases etc., but he was never able to get one. He said to me then, that the corner stitchers used a curved needle, in a 'swinging' action, so I was supprised, years later, when we managed to get hold of our first Singer corner stitcher, it had a normal straight needle! Maybe, father had heared about the 'Pederson' machine, rather than the 'Singer'.

It looks like you have a great selection of machines, but I think that your 'skiver' could do with a good going over with an oily rag!!

What make is it? Ours is a 'Muller & Kurth' from Germany.

Steve

You nailed it Steve , the mc has a curved awl that punches a hole through from the bottom which , when sewing should be the face side of the item . When it exits the hole , the curved needle follows it back through , picks up the thread with a hook that it has on the end (no eye in curved needle) then makes the loop after it exits the hole . The Skiver is a Marshall , made in Australia , a remnant from when we used to have a footwear industry here , once upon a time . Bit of surface rust that'll come of on the wire wheel , again . I rebuilt the whole machine , new bearings bushes etc , one of the advantages of doing a fitting and turning apprenticeship as a young bloke . And my brother has a good lathe which is handy for maching odd bits and pieces for my equipment when I need to . I used to have a really good BUSM strap cutter but I sold it in a moment of madness about 20 yrs ago , been kicking myself ever since .

You nailed it Steve , the mc has a curved awl that punches a hole through from the bottom which , when sewing should be the face side of the item . When it exits the hole , the curved needle follows it back through , picks up the thread with a hook that it has on the end (no eye in curved needle) then makes the loop after it exits the hole . The Skiver is a Marshall , made in Australia , a remnant from when we used to have a footwear industry here , once upon a time . Bit of surface rust that'll come of on the wire wheel , again . I rebuilt the whole machine , new bearings bushes etc , one of the advantages of doing a fitting and turning apprenticeship as a young bloke . And my brother has a good lathe which is handy for maching odd bits and pieces for my equipment when I need to . I used to have a really good BUSM strap cutter but I sold it in a moment of madness about 20 yrs ago , been kicking myself ever since .

Ah! That sounds as if it's a 'Needle and Awl' chain stitch machine, like our 3 row 'Puritan'; they once used 'N&A' chain stitch machines a lot in the luggage manufacturing industry. You have my admiration for being able to rebuild machines like that, I wouldn't know where to start! It's a shame about the strap cutter, they're really good, solid machines and will last a life time; we've had ours for nearly 40 years!

Steve

Edited by SteveBrambley

Chain stitch machines are single thread aren't they , with no bobbin . mine has top and bottom thread and forms a stitch just like your 45K . the skiver was the one i rebuilt . the corner stitcher scares me just thinking about it .

Chain stitch machines are single thread aren't they , with no bobbin . mine has top and bottom thread and forms a stitch just like your 45K . the skiver was the one i rebuilt . the corner stitcher scares me just thinking about it .

Yes, you're quite right! 'Chain Stitch' machines do have only one thread. Because your machine is a needle and awl, I assumed that, like all N&A machines that I've had anything to do with, it was also of this type. This is most interesting, I have heard of 'lock stitch' N&A machines (Campbell, Landis etc.), but I have never seen one, and could never figure out how they worked!

Steve

Nice shop. When I die can I have my ashes spread there in "Heaven"?

Tom