gothcowboy

Singer 111W105 - Anyone Have One?

I just committed to buy an old Singer 111w105. I don't know much about them other than they're old, and they weigh about as much as a refrigerator. Has anyone had one?

The foot looks like this in its current state.

Any intel would be appreciated. This is a little side project I may live to regret!

It's not a Singer 111w105, it's a 111w103. Pays to have your glasses on, I guess. At any rate, I can't find a user's manual anywhere. I can find parts manuals, but not user's manuals. Any help would be appreciated.

Use a manual for the 111w152,153,154 or 155,the difference in them is the stitch length & safety clutch ,the threading & etc will be the same.

Use a manual for the 111w152,153,154 or 155,the difference in them is the stitch length & safety clutch ,the threading & etc will be the same.

Awesome intel - thanks! Anything related to industrial machines is all new territory for me. I used one years ago, but it was a completely different type of machine, and knowing how it worked, or its components, weren't a consideration at the time. Now that I own this behemoth, I have no choice but to get it figured out.

It's missing the belt from the motor to the machine, and the belt at the end of the machine. I know I can pick those up on eBay. And it appears to move like a walking foot, but only has a single foot. To me, that was odd right off the bat. I don't know if it's missing part of the walking foot, or that's just the way it is.

post-7876-0-68392900-1388878139_thumb.jp

Edited by gothcowboy

It looks to me like your outer foot is not installed in the slot. That is what that "rod" in back of your needle and inner foot looks like it should have. Like this:post-46726-0-49987700-1388879276_thumb.j

-DC

It looks to me like your outer foot is not installed in the slot. That is what that "rod" in back of your needle and inner foot looks like it should have. Like this:

-DC

Aha! That's what I thought. Thanks so much for the photo, because it helps fill in the blanks for me, visually. I need to order a complete walking foot assembly, as well.

You'll also need the screw that secures the outer foot to the presser foot bar and evidently, the left cover plate (where the big oil hole is).

You'll also need the screw that secures the outer foot to the presser foot bar and evidently, the left cover plate (where the big oil hole is).

I believe I may have seen an extra cover plate in the drawer that came with the table it's on. Not sure if it's the correct cover plate yet. The whole thing needs to be cleaned, it's so filthy.

The motor underneath says "Lawrence M. Stein" in Chicago, speed 1750, 1/4 HP. I believe that's older than dirt, from what I can find about the Lawrence M. Stein company. Once I get it clean and together I'll strongly consider replacing the motor.

If you do most recommend the servo motor, they work ell and you can slow it down. If you want it real slow buy a speed reducer at the same time . Hard to beat the old singers lots of parts Avilable too.

A Family Sew FS-550, equipped with a 2 inch pulley, needs no help from a speed reducer on a simple walking foot or straight stitch flat bed machine. I have one powering my 20 inch bed Singer 139 walking foot machine and it has all the power it can possibly use, even at the slowest speed setting. The same setup can speed up 10 x faster with the twist of the speed limited knob.