I have no idea where else to ask this, but I have found more information about the singer 42-5 here, than anywhere else. I am starting a saddle and blanket repair business, and have the opportunity to buy a singer 42-5. After reading other forums, I think i will do quite well for the blanket repair, but I have no idea what it is worth. All the parts are there, and it was in good working condition 1.5 years ago before it's owner passed away. The owner used it for blankets, saddle pads, and canvas work on a regular basis. It has been in storage since. I know that without actually looking at it, no one can give an exact value, but a ballpark range would be great. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer!

I'd say $3-400.00,it's a great machne for this type of work,but the problem is we can't get all the parts for it anymore.So try it before you buy itto mak sre t's ing good if ntit wll make it worth less of courseif you hae to bu parts.

I have one of them, and I use it for nearly everything, up to leather 1/4" thick. Great for canvas or upholstery fabrics too. Bobbins are available. Use commonly available series 135x16 and 135x17 needles. I mostly use 69 and 138 thread in mine, because I have plenty on hand. I'm not sure if it would handle heavier thread or not, because I never tried it. For the seriously heavy stuff, I have my big Cowboy machine.

As Cowboy Bob says, it's great if you don't need parts. In my experience, worn or damaged parts can be repaired, screws re-made, etc. I have fixed a lot of old parts made of "Unobtanium", because I have machining and welding capabilities. The real problem would be if something is missing, rather than worn or broken.

One of my customers needed a machine for 8mm of harness leather with 277 thread and the only machine I had was a 42-5. Tested it out as a treadle and it worked like a dream.

Needle plate and feed dogs are no longer available but this may be fixed soon ;)

This is the king of flatbeds.

Anyone know where I can Gert a needle plate for the 42-5 ?  I have the main one, but the one where the shuttle lives is missing

1 hour ago, usmc323 said:

Anyone know where I can Gert a needle plate for the 42-5 ?  I have the main one, but the one where the shuttle lives is missing

I too have a 42-5 and aside from needles and bobbins, replacement parts are made of Unobtanium. That is unless you can find somebody selling one cheap or for scrap.

Haven´t yet seen a 42 in person but the machine looks like a beefed up Singer 16 so I would guess some sort of Singer 16 needle plate could fit but depends on what feed dog you have installed. Maybe worth checking with this seller and compare measures:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303485230634

Just a guess!

Edited by Constabulary

Might want to avoid that seller. They are not on the reasonable side.

Folker, that throat plate for the Singer 16 does not look like the plate on my 45-2. It will not fit if the O.P's feed dog is like mine, with the second row of teeth on the right side. My throat plate measures 3 1/4 x 2 1/8 inches. I will post a photo of it later.