jeremyqmartin

Replicating Allen Edmonds "bourbon" Color

I'm making a belt for a friend. He has a pair of Allen edmonds in "bourbon".

Their website describes it as starting with a walnut color, then they burnish the shoes on the "black wheel" (I assume this a wheel they normally use to burnish black shoes?)

I have purchased fiebings leather colors Saddle Tan (I'm in CA) and from my testing it seems to match the Allen Edmonds Walnut almost perfectly.

So how would I go about darkening it into bourbon?

Gold might be a better match.

The more saddle tan you apply, the darker it will become.

Edited by Tree Reaper

That's easy - Fiebing's Walnut Pro Oil Dye applied heavily. If you want some darker "spots", you can use some dark antique paste after applying a finish and then top coat it again.

That's easy - Fiebing's Walnut Pro Oil Dye applied heavily. If you want some darker "spots", you can use some dark antique paste after applying a finish and then top coat it again.

Hmm, that sounds interesting. Do you recommend a certain "paste"?

I use Fiebing's antique paste. For your purposes, I'd say any of the browns would be a good choice. Resist the entire project as normal, then rub on the paste. It will leave some darker accents after you wipe it off without over-powering things. The key to this will be the right amount of resist to keep it from coloring the leather too much, but also not seal it all out. PRACTICE.

FIRSTLY: "To those who serve and have served, this day is yours, and remember how you earned this day, as well those before us, and those after us, who go without question or reservation into to the valley, so that same valley never comes to our beloved soil. "Semper Fi", "Oooh-Rahhh", "HooYahh", "Huuwuh" and all the other strange sounds our fighting forces make when receiving the call. Have a great memorial day, and continue to carry on the memory of the honor, courage and commitment that our fallen brothers and sisters displayed while they served their county." Enjoy this day, as it is a reminder that "Freedom is not free."

Now then, as I get off the soapbox. I'm sorry for such a noob question, but what does "resist" mean when it applies to staining, dyeing or whatever process being discussed in this post?

Also, what / who would sell a dress belt "blank" and dress belt buckle for the AE belt project.

I too have a pair of Bourbon McCallisters I got off EBay for a decent price, but I can swing the $90 + to get the matching belt.

I also need to resole a pair of AE shoes, but don't know if their asking price for resole services is realistic.

Again, sorry for the multiple questions, just wanted any advise that can be gleaned, learn a thing (or two) and save a buck in the process.

Semper Fi, Marty

Edited by landm42006

Resist means to apply anything that will prevent a later product application from reaching all areas. It is used just like a person might use masking tape in painting a room. The resist can be a product intended for that use, but technically could be anything that has those properties, As for resoling, that can be done at any shoe repair place. Typical coat wouls be 40-100 dollars, depending on the sole type and local labor rates.

Sooo,

Basically purchase a belt blank, and then apply heavy coats of Fiebing's Walnut Pro Oil Dye?

Not trying to sound like a smarty pants, but I have never attempted to duplicate a color before, and the color of this shoe is very unique. It looks like they took a run of a shoe in a previous color, and then added dye to make it a darker color.

But basically, after dyeing the belt blank, then burnish the edges, install the keepers and buckle, and away you go?

THanks, Marty