troy

Uk Horse Rawhide Supplier Plus Deer

Finally after years waiting, it seems their is a horse rawhide supplier. Correct me if I'm wrong but I have thought that horse rawhide is better ( as in just as thin but denser then deer rawhide) for fine braiding or any braiding, then deer rawhide.

This is the supplier - http://www.barrheadleather.co.uk/raw-hide-c46.html - I have used their seconds hides and found them to be great for braiding, yet to try out the horse which will depend if fellow braiders here know if horse is indeed better then deer, i.e won't stretch as much when damp and is still thin enough for narrow strings.

cheers

Paul

I am unsure of rawhide, but I tried some veg tan horse butt because I had it lying around. Maybe it had too much flank on it, but I was not impressed. I didnt even bother splitting it down to braiding thickness because the 5/8" strand broke twice while stretching it. I ended up finishing it to 7/16" wide and giving it to a friend for his renfair projects.

Horse is EXCELLENT for braiding and yes it is thinner than bovine raw hide it is very strong. The belly is much thinner than the back but perfect fir very fine things. I used it a bunch for fid work and other projects. South American braid ears use it a lot for their work along with softened Hereford rawhide for its reddish color. If the horse was a dark color sometimes it will come through in the raw hide and give great effects.