I'm building a couple of halter nose pieces for a customer and she is wanting color and crystals mounted on them. 1 will have heart in the center with wings on each side. She wants the heart in read and the wings white. The other one is just lettering with crystals. I've never used any colored dyes, I usually only use Fiebings Oil Dye when I do use a dye. My question is this, what can I use to get the colors i need and will it flake off of the leather? I don't check this forum often so please reply to my email; buckaroobasics@gmail.com. Thanks in advance!

Cova is not a dye, it's a paint. Cova is acrylic paint and works very well for coloring leather, other types of acrylic paint work as well. Cova is specially formulated for leather. Use light coats till you get the effect you want. Then let dry for 24 hours or so then cover with a good sealant, clear lac, resolene, etc. Test on scrap leather before applying the paint or the finish to a project.

Chief

I highly recommend Angelus paint. You get more for your money both in terms of amount and quality. Cova does have a tendency to sometimes crack under pressure which I have yet to experience with a Angelus. You will also need less coats to achieve good results. Angelus also comes in a wider variety of color.

Are these both suitable for the nose piece of a halter? I don't want to put something on and have it fall off. I was given some acrylic paint today to try, a couple of .41oz tubes made by a/a Art Advantage. I'm gonna try this on a piece of scrap leather, let it dry and then flex the hell out of it to see what happens.

Just remember, when it comes to paint, THIN THIN THIN - First off, you don't want cracking, but you also don't want it to look like a layer of paint. Thinned down acrylics can leave the texture and look of the leather showing through, and they won't be prone to problems when flexed. Just thin it down with water and build UP your color.

I'm sure the Angelus would be fine on a noseband as they are specifically formulated for painting shoes. As cyber thrasher recommend build up your color slowly and you should be fine :)

Are Angelus paints available in Canada?

Are Angelus paints available in Canada?

I get my Angelus paints from Turtle Feathers and yes they ship to Canada. Not sure if there is a supplier already in Canada.

Karina

Edited by veedub3