TXAG

Need Pattern For Wwi Dispatch / Map Case, Please...

Try searching for it (google) in the Military TM's (technical manuals) if you know the stock number for them. They will usually show the parts exploded view with dimensions and just print them to size, cut your pieces and assemble.

Things like this would've normally been covered in a TB (technical bulletin) or drawing number, which are hard to locate for WWI stuff. Field gear like this doesn't normally have its own TM. I'll keep looking though...

Additionally, these may have been procured through commercial channels...I'm still doing research, but it may not have been produced by the Army.

Still researching...I may end up having to buy the repro one and work off of it...rather have an original pattern to go by though, if possible...

Edited by northmount

shoot - for 30 bucks, buy the original, make a pattern and then sell the pattern to people for 5 bucks.

Yeah, that's not gonna happen. :) I did end up buying one of each since no one had any leads on any patterns...all I need to do now is measure them and come up with an assembly order. Might sell the patterns later, but it won't be for $5. :)

Edited by TXAG

TXAG wish I could have helped you on this but I never even seen one these before. Looks like it would be a fun project. If you do end up selling a pattern for the leather one I would be very interested in buying one. I wonder what type of plastic would be used in making one? Well anyway thank you for sharing the idea very interesting. John

Does anyone have a pattern for this? I would be willing to buy the pattern if someone has it. Please let me know. Thank you. John

P.S So what kind of plastic would be used for the window anyway?

Yeah, I figured it out and drew up measurements. Made one out of nylon and it works pretty well. Leather one will be more difficult.

Window is clear plastic.

Does anyone have a pattern for this? I would be willing to buy the pattern if someone has it. Please let me know. Thank you. John

Willing to share?? John

Willing to share?? John

No.

Send me a PM if you want to know why, but it pertains to a specific person on here. (Not you, johnggrg...someone else is the reason for this on here...)

Edited by 25b

I'm going to build one. That thing is just too cool looking. Found a couple of good online places selling replicas and a couple of places to get the lift-the-dot fasteners.

Going to get my geek on and make it big enough for RPG books.

Hi John,

I know someone who has an original, windows were acetate (like film base), still available. Plastic should work also, just depends on how authentic you need. The originals I have seen are really sunstruck and have gone yellow. I will try to get a loaner of one and see if I can draw up the parts, we'll see.

Art

Yeah, I figured it out and drew up measurements. Made one out of nylon and it works pretty well. Leather one will be more difficult.

Window is clear plastic.

25b tried to send you a pm and it wouldn't go threw. PM me if you can. I would appreciate any help you could give me with this. Thank you. John

Hi John,

I know someone who has an original, windows were acetate (like film base), still available. Plastic should work also, just depends on how authentic you need. The originals I have seen are really sunstruck and have gone yellow. I will try to get a loaner of one and see if I can draw up the parts, we'll see.

Art

Hey Art thank you for the reply. I hope you can help me out with this. Looks like a cool project to do. Let me know. John

I'm going to build one. That thing is just too cool looking. Found a couple of good online places selling replicas and a couple of places to get the lift-the-dot fasteners.

Going to get my geek on and make it big enough for RPG books.

Whoops! Turns out I ended up looking at the M-1938 Dispatch case. /That/ is what I am going to build... good luck on the map case! I might have had a little luck finding the acetate sheets: http://www.grafixplastics.com/downloads/Acetate_Stock_Sizes.pdf Maybe that will help someone.

Whoops! Turns out I ended up looking at the M-1938 Dispatch case. /That/ is what I am going to build... good luck on the map case! I might have had a little luck finding the acetate sheets: http://www.grafixplastics.com/downloads/Acetate_Stock_Sizes.pdf Maybe that will help someone.

Acetate sheets are available at hobby lobby, Michaels, Office Depot/Max, maybe even JoAnns, they were used for overhead projector sheets and some project covers. I think they come in 3 mil and 5 mil.

Art

I have one of the original cases and it's not the same stuff, but whatever...go on ahead and use that stuff. :)

I have one of the original cases and it's not the same stuff, but whatever...go on ahead and use that stuff. :)

25b not sure what you are saying. I said I would like to buy your pattern just didn't have that much money right now. I am sorry if that has ofended you in any way. That was not my intention. John

The comment you quoted wasn't directed at you, johnggrg...

Edited by 25b

Hi John,

Art

Hey Art. Hust wondering if you had any luck? john

John,

I have the map case. I haven't had the time to draw up a pattern. The case is a little complicated as construction and design techniques are 1st 1/4 20th Century, Rock Island Arsenal 1914 H.E.K. There is a gusseted enclosure (pouch) on the back that runs the full length of the case, and the whole thing is in beautiful hair cell veg tan (not impressed hair cell, but the real thing). There are two wet formed pencil holders sewn to the gusseted pouch. There is a fold down and button stud cover for the front and back that covers the tri fold map case on the front and the pouch on the rear. D rings attach to straps that go through the top of the cover. They obviously did high quality leatherwork at Rock Island. The tri fold part is held together by two button stud enclosed straps attached along the edge of the pouch on the back

The replica that is for sale is not nearly this detailed and is different in significant ways. There is also a covered magnetic compass attached inside the tri fold which is not there in the replica models I have seen. I am trying to decide whether to deconstruct this item or to do the best to recreate it without deconstruction. The third option is to restore this one. I am leaning toward options two.

I have always thought that Rock Island did a fantastic job of turning out the many quality leather items that they did. Just like the other arsenals, they obviously took pride in the work they did.

I'll get plans as soon as I can, maybe on a flow as I do them. Good luck trying to find that hair cell veg tan.

Art

John,

I have the map case. I haven't had the time to draw up a pattern. The case is a little complicated as construction and design techniques are 1st 1/4 20th Century, Rock Island Arsenal 1914 H.E.K. There is a gusseted enclosure (pouch) on the back that runs the full length of the case, and the whole thing is in beautiful hair cell veg tan (not impressed hair cell, but the real thing). There are two wet formed pencil holders sewn to the gusseted pouch. There is a fold down and button stud cover for the front and back that covers the tri fold map case on the front and the pouch on the rear. D rings attach to straps that go through the top of the cover. They obviously did high quality leatherwork at Rock Island. The tri fold part is held together by two button stud enclosed straps attached along the edge of the pouch on the back

The replica that is for sale is not nearly this detailed and is different in significant ways. There is also a covered magnetic compass attached inside the tri fold which is not there in the replica models I have seen. I am trying to decide whether to deconstruct this item or to do the best to recreate it without deconstruction. The third option is to restore this one. I am leaning toward options two.

I have always thought that Rock Island did a fantastic job of turning out the many quality leather items that they did. Just like the other arsenals, they obviously took pride in the work they did.

I'll get plans as soon as I can, maybe on a flow as I do them. Good luck trying to find that hair cell veg tan.

Art

It's for myself Art. But thank you for your help on this and let me know what you come up with. John