Made a quiver for a friend today (and yesterday). Not really based on anything; just sort of sprung out of my head. I found a green stone in my misc beads box, and set it in. I wasn't sure on how to do that, but I think it turned out ok. The only thing I didn't get a chance to do was to line it with something. I wanted to use a thick sheepswool or something, but I didn't have any.

quiver%20front.jpg?format=500w

detail%20angle.jpg?format=1500w

detail%20front.jpg?format=1500w

How did you attach the stone? is it just glued on with the leather helping to hold it in?

Very nice. I like the clean simple lines.

Lovely!

The sheepskin lining will be a perfect finihing touch.

Is it ambidextrous?

Yes, it is! I'll be getting the straps done today for it.

How did you attach the stone? is it just glued on with the leather helping to hold it in?

I cut a hole in the top layer of leather shaped like the stone so it sits down in the quiver a bit. Then I used Gorilla Glue to hold it in there. I'm not sure if that will work long-term, but it seems to be holding up for now.

Cool I have found the trick to goriilal glue is to clamp the two items tightly and add just a touch of moisture. I have not tried it with leather and glass\stone, but I think I iwlll this weekend. I really like the over all desing and stitiching on your quiver! Simple, functional with just a touch of bling...really make it an elegant piece. .

Edited by kwelna

I did add a slight bit of water, but I couldn't find a clamp. I did hold it with my fingers for a while, though. Hopefully it holds.

Howdy,

How thick is leather you used for the quiver? I am working on one right now but I have not made one before and the pattern I am using calls for 8-9 oz. but I only have 4-5 oz. on hand. I am thinking of doubling up the main body of the quiver by glueing two pieces together or adding accent pieces on the top, bottom, and spine similar to what you have done. Any suggestions?

Thank you,

I used 7/9 for the main body and plug, and then a layer of 4/5 for the top and bottom "bands". I did do some experimenting with 4/5 for the body, but I found it to be too flimsy. You could double it, I don't see the problem in that. Doubling circular patterns can be bearish, though. I usually avoid it just because its a pain in the neck for me. Although, you could have the inside of the quiver finished, which would look good. I usually line mine with shearling or I have an arrow bag that I can draw up over the fletchings.

What kind of pattern are you working on?

It is a pattern from the archery pack found on the Leathercraft Library site. I'm trying to stick with the pattern as best I can for this first one but was going to tool the top and bottom edges since there is a pocket near the center of the body. I'd post a picture but I don't have the rights to share the pattern. I was coming to the same conclusion about the 4-5 not being stiff enough on its own, I'm also thinking to use some wood to form the basic shape and then I should be able to use the lighter leather. When you doubled the leather in the past, what sort of troubles did you have?

Thank you for the advice.

Ah, I understand. I wouldn't post photos of my own patterns, (or ones that I buy), either. I've found that when doubling leather the outside and inside don't match up when rolled. That is to say, the outside will become shorter than the inside. If glued first, you could get pinching, but I'm not totally sure on that. With books that I've done, I haven't had much trouble, but I don't have tons of experience with layering on gear and armor. I do know that sewing through it can be a pain. When I did my plug, I was going through 2 layers of 7/9 and one layer of 4/5. Just be sure the sewing holes all line up.

Let me know what you find with the wood forms. I haven't used them for quivers, but there are a few designs that I have where the pattern alone won't be enough to shape the leather.

• Really nice. Perfect proportions to my eye. Seems to have a subtle concavity to the taper. Bet the stiching took a bit of time.

Ah, thank you. I noticed the concave curves, too, but I didn't try to put them there. I've always wondered how to make a quiver slightly convex. Yes, the stitching took most of the time :P

When doubling up the leather to make it thicker or for lining on curved objects, don't lay out flat and glue.

Use contact cement, start at one edge and "roll" (form the curve) as you are gluing it together. And yes, the inside circumference is less than the outside circumference, so you have to make adjustments to the length. If it is the inside diameter that is critical, then add more length to the outside layer and vice-versa. Check your dimensions by fitting pieces together dry (no glue) with the final curve or shape in mind.

The glued together layers will hold the shape and can tolerate some change in the bend radius without forming wrinkles.

Tom

Icmattson - sorry for the delay, I haven't forgotten to fill you in on the wood forms. I wound up changing plans due to what material I had on hand so I haven't started the quiver yet. What I will probably due is if it works out is post it up for critiquing, when I do I will send word your way. I'm thinking I will document the steps and take photos along the way to share if people are interested.

Cheers,