Here are a pair of tall moccasins i finished up for myself

Used 3oz Deertan for them with a 8oz inner and outer sole

I was wondering what weight/ type of leather is most common for the tall mocs, I see a few are using 8oz buffalo.

post-39733-0-15480400-1389292716_thumb.j

post-39733-0-56351400-1389292875_thumb.j

Edited by KCF2013

Cool!

I'm not sure on the weight but I am officially jealous of your boots :(

Looks like you did a great job!

Thanks for the compliments, they turned out pretty good, I don't mind the working with the Deertan, Tandy pattern and I adjusted where necessary, Im thinking a heavier weight made a size of two bigger would possibly stay up better and allow for a liner.

Edited by KCF2013

just out of curiosity, how many square feet of material did you use?

I used 12 sqft for a size 10, and punched 1952 holes for stitching not that I counted..:blink:

that's ummmm a lot of holes lol but you've inspired me to seriously look at making a pair for myself

I used a lacing chisel with 4 prongs and set it in my Arbour press.

Set a marker line for the stitch line and away i sat ,:wacko:

Drew the pattern and numbered the sections of it with the amount of holes, to keep everything lined up, I also used a 5/64" hole bunch to mark the starting points,where I wanted to start and stop stitching the sections. and as marker points for alignment, It helped me keep everything align, especially my inner peace.. :thumbsup:

ok, guess I know what I'm doing this weekend :) hopefully mine will turn out as nice as yours and I still have what little hair I have now when I finish :D

ok, guess I know what I'm doing this weekend :) hopefully mine will turn out as nice as yours and I still have what little hair I have now when I finish :D

if you run into any problems PM me or txt my cell and I can try to offer any help I can.

I think my next pair will be out of Moose of Buffalo, I pondered about using an oil tanned leather, uncertain, might try doing a lined pair for myself., oh decisions decisions.. :dunno:

was over at tandy today and after looking at the leathers, think I'm going to hold off until I can afford some good moose or buffalo or something heavier. Looking at the lighter deer hide just didn't look like it would hold up well enough to last and make it worth the money and work.

I am happy with the deertan i used for mine, that said i dont use them alot outdoors this time of year, definately going with a lined pair for next winter

I just got an oder from the Tandy store in Dartmouth, was happy with the leather, the Rabbit on the other have ws very poor grade,

I've never really looked at the rabbit skins as I haven't had anything I've wanted to do with rabbit lining. I would get a hold of Ashley (she's the store manager, very helpful when I go in, not to mention cute) and I'm sure she can will do something for you

Very nice. I use 8 oz leather for moccs when I can. you can use thin stuff for the short ones. No rabbit holds up well, it's not very durable stuff. Rob

I had a couple of Rabbit pelts from last year, that had a pretty good hide to them, the ones I have been getting lately have been dam near transparent and very poor quality, I am waiting on some Beaver belt from my cousin who is a trapper. I think a Moose/Buffalo 8 oz with a Beaver trim would be neat.or make a mid calf high mukluks, I am really enjoying making the mocs and hats,

Check out this link for a possible source of this type of hide.

I have never bought from these ppl but if someone here does or has, please comment as I am interested and would like to know.

Mod. Assoc.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_osacat=0&_armrs=1&_ssn=theleatherguyofmn&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xelk&_nkw=elk&_sacat=0&_from=R40

I have been eyeing the same seller on ebay, I contacted Canada Border Services with a couple of specific questions on importing hides- Tanned hides and skins of bovine (including buffalo) or equine animals.

I recieved the following reply

""

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) provides resources on our Web site to assist Small and Medium-sized enterprises with importing goods to Canada. The resources listed on the CBSA Web site can assist you with the importing process to ensure that you are able to meet all of the requirements associated with importing goods into Canada.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/sme-pme/import-sme-pme-eng.html

These resources include:

• A Step-by-Step Guide to Importing
  • Checklist for Importing Commercial Goods
  • Other Government Departments and Agencies: Reference List for Importers
  • Customs Tariff
  • Information Sessions and Seminars
  • SME Toolkit

Rates of duty vary according to the goods you are importing, the country where the goods were made, and the country from which you are importing them.

Before you consult the CBSA Web site, please have the following information ready:

• a complete and accurate description of the goods, including the material or materials it is made from;
  • how the article will be used in Canada, as its use may reduce or eliminate the duty;
  • the country in which the article was manufactured; and
  • the country from which the article was shipped/imported directly to Canada.

Please also consult the Customs Tariff at the following link to inquire about a tariff classification, a statistical classification number (10 digits), or a tariff treatment, and the rates of duty:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-commerce/tariff-tarif/menu-eng.html

Should you require additional assistance with your inquiry, we recommend that you contact the Border Information Service (BIS). You can access the BIS line free of charge throughout Canada by calling 1-800-461-9999. If you are calling from outside Canada, you can access the BIS line by calling either 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064 (long-distance charges will apply). If you call during regular business hours (8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday to Friday, except holidays), you can speak to a commercial officer by pressing “0” after you have made a selection of one of the 4 menu options.

Thank you for contacting the Canada Border Services Agency."

which led me to several hours on the website following this guide, to another link to a bit of info, to another link, to another, I came up with a category number for the import and unless you have your supplier work with you to ensure you have the paperwork in order it is then basically at the discretion of the Customs Officer to determine if they will hold your order for inspection and duties/fees "may" be charged, but if everything seems "OK" then no duty /tarrif will be charged on your items.

Good News is...

04- Tanned or crust hides and skins of bovine (including buffalo) or equine animals, without hair on, whether or not split, but not further prepared. Are allowed to be imported into Canada, use this number from the AIRS program for your paperwork "410400000000" this is your HS Code, a number representing the Harmonized System Code.

So I will ahve to give this a try, and make sure I have enough wiggle room on the credid card, incase a duty/tarrif shows up. Iwil lpost results here once I get the order ready, along with any forms/info related to shipping it.

Do you know if this would included the deerskins and scandanavian elk he has? he claims it is all still stocked in the US so the importing country would still be the same but if its real, the country of origin would be a bit interesting.

Thanks a ton for the comment though. Helps a lot and I appreciate it.

Mod. Assos.

I belive it will still be allowed, from what I can understand from the links I provided in other psot, He has them maked as Scandanavian Elk, does that mean he imported them or has access to a Elk farm? Who knows... but it should still be admissable into Canada from what I have read... now keep in mind everything has a "discretion of the officer" at the customs crossing, years ago I had a motorcycle shop and brought in finished Leather goods form a USA supplier, most of the time , cleaerd customs with no issues or duties, the occosional time it was held for clearance, and I paid a $75 brokerage fee to verify, yup the packing slip shows just whats in the box..

I called Canada Customs and the officer said she could not see a problem bringing in tanned leather for cattle/wildlife as long as it was tanned and no hair. That it is admissable into Canada from the USA and from abroad, overseas orders should have a invoice certifying the country of origin and the type of animal the hid was from.