Chain

Homemade Maul

Hi all

I am pretty new here and to Leatherworking. I used to "dabble" in it years ago and have decided to get back into it. Living where I do buying tools and leather has to be done mainly online and it all adds to the expense. Therefore I decided to make my own maul. $15 and 5 minutes and I have a fully functional maul.

Process as follows.

For the maul head I bought a "Pallet Truck Nylon Wheel" off Ebay, 78mm x 68mm x 46mm , seems just about the right size. You may be able to buy local.

For the handle I used part of the handle from a gardening implement of destruction, a garden hoe. The handle had a slight taper one end and was just the perfect size.

I slipped the handle through the hole in the maul head, there was about 15mm protruding. This hammered into the head just nicely fitting flush. No glue, no screws, no bolts needed.

I cut the handle a little longer than needed and will trim if necessary to adjust the weight. Also I might "pretty" it up at some point by adding a bolt and washer (more weight) to the head end and shape the handle a bit.

Some pics attached

post-12793-42832_thumb.jpg

Some more pics

post-12793-0-74826900-1389428282_thumb.jpost-12793-0-75550500-1389428210_thumb.jpost-12793-0-58829900-1389428189_thumb.j

Excellent idea with the pallet truck wheel! My workplace has theirs serviced regularly... Might be able to pick up a part-worn freebie!

Great idea and thanks for sharing! be sure to share any of your other home-made ideas, I love this stuff!

So creative and simple. I love a great DIY idea! Very nice job on it!

great idea, what kind of weight does it have?

Hi AZ

it weighs in at 518grams / 18.2 ounces

Great idea.....thanks for sharing.

This is an excellent idea.

Hi, there, Chain.  Homemade is often the best way to go - I built a maul from PVC pipe and a dowel.  A 2inch, or the size of your preference, glue on cap with a threaded reducer is what I used, I filled the space in the cap with BBs for the weight and screwed the dowel in.  The prototype used a drilled dowel and all thread which went through the cap.  It was difficult to drill through the dowel without a drill press, but it is my "everyday" maul.  I have beat the snot out of it with no signs of wear yet.  Great fun, Phil

I just dusted off my lathe and started refurbishing it, as I have been wanting to make my own mauls. I plan on ordering round stock polymer to make the head. Ill have to look into those wheels.

For the less able diy'ers among us, this is what I did.   

I  bought a lovely handmade maul from a chap in Italy. (18oz I believe).    The red polymer used seemed to have a bit too much 'bounce' to it for my liking, and seemed to soak up some of the impact.

I had a bit of a think, then I bought a length of white polymer about 2cm diameter wider than the original.   I also cut the polymer about 1cm longer, then I drilled it out, and fitted it to my new maul.  It was easy to do, using the hubby's chop saw, and piller drill.

The extra weight and bigger size is now perfect for me.

Edited by LumpenDoodle2

On June 11, 2016 at 3:00 AM, LumpenDoodle2 said:

For the less able diy'ers among us, this is what I did.   

I  bought a lovely handmade maul from a chap in Italy. (18oz I believe).    The red polymer used seemed to have a bit too much 'bounce' to it for my liking, and seemed to soak up some of the impact.

I had a bit of a think, then I bought a length of white polymer about 2cm diameter wider than the original.   I also cut the polymer about 1cm longer, then I drilled it out, and fitted it to my new maul.  It was easy to do, using the hubby's chop saw, and piller drill.

The extra weight and bigger size is now perfect for me.

Would like to see a pic if you have the time.

Here's my adapted maul next to a standard cheap and chearfull Chinese maul.   I'm very happy with how it feels, and has a nice bit balance to it (more by luck than judgement).

image.jpeg

Nice job there !!!

The chap who originally made the maul did a lovely job, using a leather disk handle, heavy steel rod, and a couple of ali spacers, my contribution of the white poly was a mere upgrade to a well made object.B)