Zor

Tooling Mistake

Just wanted to share......when I started this I was hoping not to mess it up.....but then....I made a bad cut and had to decide whether to do the other cut....boo...hoo

post-48018-0-48774500-1389756173_thumb.j

Put a concho over it.

Just wanted to share......when I started this I was hoping not to mess it up.....but then....I made a bad cut and had to decide whether to do the other cut....boo...hoo

Or just ignore it and keep going. It will still look nice when completed. Makes it "unique".

Tom

How wide is that impression?

When my wife makes a mistake similar to this when making a quilt top, it is referred to as a "humility block"... just consider it a "humility cut" and carry on... reminds us that we're not perfect ;)

you could call it your signature cut, i make loads of em....

My carvings are FAR from perfect. Yet I sell hundreds of pieces a year. I have tons of mistakes in almost everything I make....you know what,..the consumer never sees them. Its art,...art thats developing over a craftsmans lifetime.....people just see the beauty of handwork. Now if its a functional or mechanical error that will affect operation or function,..its a no-go,..but as for cosmetic flaws,....you'll be AMAZED at what the average consumer/buyer does not see.

I strive for perfection,..but after 4-5 hours of continious little knife cuts,..or smacks on a mallet of repetetive tooling,....I DO make a bunch of errors,.....its NOT a big deal.

Edited by SethJ

I strongly believe that your worst work is the standard for judging your talent/ability/quality.

Everone will notice your mistakes. Don't fool yourself that they don't. Show someone uneducated bad work and they may be impressed. Show them quality and bad work and they will tell you the bad work looks nice and will be in awe at the quality work. If you accept that you do bad work, you will alway do bad work. Do great work an you will get better and better.

Aaron

Hello ZOR,

I second the suggestions of NORTHMOUNT and NEEDLES. In my own words: that mistake happened almost in the middle of the decoration. As example: mistakes like such one, but on a postal stamp can, when detected by collectors, cause to raise the price of such a postal stamp immensely. So, even basically a mistaken cut, it is indeed unique and could serve as a signature cut.

Have a nice day,

Mark, the "leatherthresher".

I Agree with all of the above. There are mistakes that are "acceptable", on a piece, but not up to the quality that we are striving for. The difference is what level you accept. Finish the piece, strive for perfection on the next. That appears to be in the middle of the piece so is not as apparent.