Anyone used a Barry King grooved edger? Any thoughts on it? I'm considering purchasing a set, but I would love some feedback before I do. And pro or cons vs their common edger? My primary goal is a nice round edge on the leather, and a tool that is easy to sharpen.

I don't have that one, but I am thoroughly impressed with his other hand tools I do have. They are extremely well made and fine tools. I wouldn't hesitate to buy an edger...in fact, I think I may order a few more tools of his soon.

I have had both through here. Both are easy to sharpen. The cutting edge is right there and top and bottom edges are accessible. Both cut a rounded profile. The longer stock on the grooved edger means you may have an inch of blade to work through. There is less "life" to the common edger because once you get past the curve, it is worn out. Either one should last a lifetime unless you really grind one out to sharpen each time. The grooved edger may last 2 lifetimes. The stock on the grooved edger is narrower so you can have thinner leather laying in the middle of the bench and not hanging on an edge to hit the angle you need. The grooved edger is usually held at a lower angle than the common edger. These are both based somewhat on the tried and true patterns of the old Gomph edgers. Personally I usually use the round bottom edgers that are similar to the grooved edger. I have a few good makers I sell to who prefer the Concord edgers similar to the common edger. Either will do the job, it pretty much comes down to a preference.

I'm jumping in on this with my own question - are the numbers for bevelers the same all around? For example, the one I'm using now is the #2 keen edge beveler from Tandy (http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/400514234330?lpid=82) I'm looking to buy the same tool but that is much better quality. Would a #2 Gomph round bottom beveler be the equivalent or are they different?

I'm using it to round the edges on dog collars : https://www.etsy.com/shop/KinCollars

Any help would be great!

I think every manufacturer has their own numbers and they are not the same.

I think I have a #2 keen edge and it measures 0.056" between the toes. My #1 Gomph is 0.075" between the toes and my #2 Gomph is 0.132" between the toes. I use the #1 Gomph on my holsters which I make from 8/9 oz, I use it on single layer and double layer. Hope this is helpful.

Nice collars.

Edited by J Hayes

You may like to consider Ron's Tools Montana edger if you are rounding off straight edge mostly. Just ordered a set of French edger from Barry King and was not too impressed with the "chrome" they apply on the cutting edge. Maybe it just me.

Hey Crimson I have a barry king french edger, used it a little, then i couldnt get it sharp... I Buff it now, and its better than new! same thing with the groved edgers... thats all I use is Barry King edgers, but the french ones i have several different makers. I hit them on the buffing wheel every so often and it keeps me where i need to be! sharp enough so when i slip and stab myself it hurts less!

I may be very mistaken, but I don't believe any of Barry's edgers or French edgers have any chrome on them at all. To the est of my knowledge they are constructed of O1 tool steel and are finished with a very high polish. If someone knows differently, I would like to hear about it.

Thanks J! I'm wondering how on earth you measure these bevelers as well?

I think every manufacturer has their own numbers and they are not the same.

I think I have a #2 keen edge and it measures 0.056" between the toes. My #1 Gomph is 0.075" between the toes and my #2 Gomph is 0.132" between the toes. I use the #1 Gomph on my holsters which I make from 8/9 oz, I use it on single layer and double layer. Hope this is helpful.

Nice collars.

I don't mean to take over your thread, but how does Barry's size numbering compare to Tandy's edgers? (alternatively to Dixon or Geo Barnsley)

Hidepounder,

I may have mistaken the high shine to be chrome. Apologies for this and glad that you have this cleared up.

Regards,