hello good morning, good afternoon & evening everyone, i picked up a machine last night thinking it was a singer 29-4 based on the photos & limited info from the seller, now i'm trying to find any info possible on this sutton-landis shoe machinery sewing machine model, so i can learn to oil it, thread it, purchase more needles & bobbins. any info is greatly appreciated & thanks in advance

post-48743-0-97948700-1389801035_thumb.j

This is a SL-71 that Sutton Landis sold. I was a knockoff of a Singer 29K71 shoe patcher Parts should be interchangeable with the Singer.

On 5/9/2020 at 3:51 PM, localleather said:

Would the SL-71  be good for heavy leather

It is a patcher, for sewing patches on vests, repairing loose thread on boots and shoes, fixing tabs on purse straps and other light leather work. It can sew up to about 1/4 to maybe 5/16 inch of light to medium temper leather with #69 or #92 bonded thread. The bobbins are very tiny and don't hold much thread in sizes over #92. When new, or rebuilt, the stitch length maxes out at 5/inch at about 1/8 inch, dropping to who knows how short at 1/4 inch. It really depends on how worn the feed motion mechanism is.

Did you see a Sutton patcher for sale, or already own one?

I recently acquired a SL-781 patcher to do leather work with. It came on a very bad table  so I sourced a regular industrial table. The new table had a Hitachi /Rex 1/3 HP clutch motor on it. I  opted to discard that (for sale by the way) in favor of an adjustable  servo motor to have more speed control. The machine worked well with the original small  motor on the bad table and also operated ok with the clutch motor. The machine ran very fast so I only tried it a couple of times and stopped until I could  decrease the speed. Now that I have the servo motor in place I have tried 3 times to use the machine. It starts out fine, nice and slow  and the needle  picks up the bobbin thread as it should.and then I hear a noise and it gets hartd to turn  even by hand and when I open the bobbin area I see that the  top of the bobbin is bent down. I have checked the needle and it appears to be going where it needs to be.  I do have a manual and there isn't any mention of anything like this. I assume the machine is timed correctly as it  does pick up the bobbin thread and worked ok before the table and motor change. I  really don't know what to do . Has any one had this problem  either on this machine or  maybe the singer 29K?  Please  help.

Thanx

RR