TXAG

Best Needles For Hand Stitching?

Ok, well I tried searching on this, but didn't find anything on it...

I have bought a few needles for hand stitching in the past...they're basically garbage and break frequently. The latest ones I got were Tandy brand (which I did not know at the time or I would not have bought them) "stitching needles" and they are the worst ever.

Can anyone recommend a source for high quality hand-stitching needles, please?

You need harness needles, they are available at most suppliers. The sewing needles that Tandy sells with the large eyes are very inferior and break easily. Harness needles are stronger and they hardly ever break. They are available in multiple sizes, I would get a pack of 0, 00, and 000 they come in a 5 pack for $2.99 per pack. You won't be disappointed with harness needles.

Hope this helps,

Chief

Have you tried John James needles? Nigel Armitage suggested the John James harness needles when I contacted him once through his Youtube channel long before I found this forum. Don't know how they compare to others as this is all I have ever used.

Karina

Thank you both...I will order some of each and give them a try.

Thanks again...

I bought a big package of sewing needles at Tandy, and they all broke within short order. I went back to Tandy and told the manager they were POS, and I that I specifically asked him for good needles. He then handed me a package of harness needles. These work great. I have sewed numerous projects, and haven't broke one yet.

Id suggest getting 0,1,2 size harness needles depending on what you are sewing 00 and 000 are pretty big

It depends on what you make, how you sew and what look you want. I do nothing but hand stitching and use Osborn 0 needles for what I make. -- Tex -- Here is a size chart. www.csosborne.com/no517.htm

Have you tried John James needles? Nigel Armitage suggested the John James harness needles when I contacted him once through his Youtube channel long before I found this forum. Don't know how they compare to others as this is all I have ever used.

Karina

Agreed. I've used the Tandy ones but the eye of the needle was huge and I broke a few. They were a definite hindrance!

I ordered the John James harness needles which are well made and get the job done.

Here is where I ordered mine-

http://www.fineleath...harness-needles

Thank you. I am going to order some from there...I like that they have a "needles only" shipping option that isn't a rip-off. Can't wait to try the harness needles...should've gone with those way back when I began doing this...Thanks again everyone...

BTW, they only show a "size 2" and "size 4"...no 00, 000, etc...does anyone know where I might get a good assortment of sizes of the John James harness needles?

Edited by TXAG

Beiler Manufacturing in PA has a good assortment of needle sizes. I don't have the phone number off hand but I will get it. Unless some here posts it first. They are Amish so there is no web site.

Tom

It would be good to have their phone number...I may try them next time.

I ordered some size 2 and size 4 John James harness needles from the fine leather.com website. Hope they get here soon. Now I need to find a good US source for tiger thread...but from searching on here, doesn't look like that'll ever happen for some reason.

Thanks again for the leads on good quality needles.

It would be good to have their phone number...I may try them next time.

I ordered some size 2 and size 4 John James harness needles from the fine leather.com website. Hope they get here soon. Now I need to find a good US source for tiger thread...but from searching on here, doesn't look like that'll ever happen for some reason.

Thanks again for the leads on good quality needles.

Tiger thread

Well I was wrong its from the UK but it will ship here. Whats the big deal about tiger thread? I normally use linen. Never used polyester for hand sewing.

Edited by mlapaglia

Beiler's number is: 717-768-0174

Hope that helps.

Tom

Tiger thread

Well I was wrong its from the UK but it will ship here. Whats the big deal about tiger thread? I normally use linen. Never used polyester for hand sewing.

Just mostly a preference thing I think I started using it cause the leather stuff I repair used it originally. I do like that it sits flatter and doesn't fray again a preference thing. Not sure if it's because I'm a lefty but I found linen difficult to work with, braided polyester thread does seem to be more popular in Australia, New Zealand and the UK compared to the US from what I've seen though.

TXAG you will be a lot happier with the John James much better quality compared to the others. I use 001 size with 1mm thick Tiger on 7-8 oz leather. Just had a look at the website I ordered from in Australia and it says size 1 the packaging has 001 on it though so yours could be 002 and 004.

Edited by cem

Ok, well I got the new harness needles today (got here really fast, btw!)...boy, these are small!!! I got size 2 and 4 (the "4" one was marked 004 by John James, but the 2 just said "size 2"...weird...).

I'd like to get some larger, heftier needles...these are smaller than the really crappy Tandy "stitching needles"...I was surprised how tiny these are...

Still need to get some good quality colored thread...may have to break down and get it from etsy...

get yourself some size 0 harness needles to start with. Work up to the 2. exchange the 4's for 0. I use a 0 for the thread I use. it even takes my 277 machine thread if I taper it like I should.

Edited by mlapaglia

I do wish I could exchange the 4's, but...the place I got them only sells 2's and 4's...

Can anyone recommend a good online supplier for harness needles in 0, 00, and 000 that will not rip me off on shipping, please? That fineleatherworking.com site is great, but they only have the size 2 and 4. I'd really like to find a place that will ship via first class mail...it would be ridiculous to have to pay $8 shipping for a packet of needles.

Yeah, their prices seem a little high...think I will go check on etsy...

Size 1, 2, and 3 John James needles for the US market are all 1.02mm diameter. 4 is 0.86mm.

The Tiger thread people are selling on Etsy are in ~ 1mm and .8mm. A JJ #1/2/3 or Osborne #18 would be just fine.

You say size 2 is small? What are the dimensions marked on the envelope? Bigger needles than that are just a pain in the butt and require a bigger and more visible stitching hole.

Why do you want Tiger thread? It's braided and relatively easy to stitch through and snag. I don't understand what people like about it.

There are tons and tons of very high quality and reasonably priced threads out there.

Royalwood sells the entire range of (rebranded) Caldwell linen colors in 3 + plies.

There are a few other outfits that sell their own color ranges in 3 + ply threads.

You can also dye white thread with a good quality reactive dye. I got a cone of 4 ply white Barbour Irish linen at I Sach's in Chicago for something like $35. I've been pulling off dozens of yards at a time to dye and I'm sure the cone will still last this hand sewer until the heat death of the universe.

Just mostly a preference thing I think I started using it cause the leather stuff I repair used it originally. I do like that it sits flatter and doesn't fray again a preference thing. Not sure if it's because I'm a lefty but I found linen difficult to work with, braided polyester thread does seem to be more popular in Australia, New Zealand and the UK compared to the US from what I've seen though.

TXAG you will be a lot happier with the John James much better quality compared to the others. I use 001 size with 1mm thick Tiger on 7-8 oz leather. Just had a look at the website I ordered from in Australia and it says size 1 the packaging has 001 on it though so yours could be 002 and 004.

Hi CEM, did you get tiger thread from a shop in Australia? I couldn't find any! Had to ordered some from UK.

Hi CEM, did you get tiger thread from a shop in Australia? I couldn't find any! Had to ordered some from UK.

I buy from Abbey in the UK as well, no one in Australia stocks it. There is something similar called Zircon available from here http://mrecht.com.au/products-categories/thread/polyester-braided-thread-zircon/ and also Mox available from Birdsall or ebay.

I use Tiger though as it comes in more colours, Zircon and Mox only come in black, brown, yellow and white. I buy my needles from Birdsall though

I buy from Abbey in the UK as well, no one in Australia stocks it. There is something similar called Zircon available from here http://mrecht.com.au...-thread-zircon/ and also Mox available from Birdsall or ebay.

I use Tiger though as it comes in more colours, Zircon and Mox only come in black, brown, yellow and white. I buy my needles from Birdsall though

Thanks! That Zircon looks nice, too. It's not cheap though. I've just placed my order on Abbey, it looks like they are giving discount. I only ordered two scoop of white thread, as a starter. Might order some more in the future. Birdsall is quite close to me, but I've only visited it once. Do you buy a lot from there?

Thanks! That Zircon looks nice, too. It's not cheap though. I've just placed my order on Abbey, it looks like they are giving discount. I only ordered two scoop of white thread, as a starter. Might order some more in the future. Birdsall is quite close to me, but I've only visited it once. Do you buy a lot from there?

The price from Abbey will be cheaper for us as we don't have to pay their VAT that's where the discount comes from.

I mostly buy needles and dye from Birdsall, haven't actually been in there yet would be nice to see it in person one day.

Hi all,

Per customer demand, we've expanded our needle offering to include 1/0 and 2/0 sizes. These are larger than the #2s and #4s we normally offer.

We also added glover's needles for sewing through shearling/wool.

Happy sewing,