BDAZ

Has Anyone Tried A 3D Printer To Make Transfer Sheets?

I have some designs I want to use commerically and hand transfer is too time consuming. It would seem that a 3D printer would be the fastest way to go from Photoshop to leather?

Has anyone tried this process?

Thanks!

Bob

Here is a link where a member used his 3D printer to make stamps to transfer his designs to leather. http://leatherworker...showtopic=46129

Use the search feature in the top right and search for "3D printer" and I think there is a couple more threads on it.

Karina

Hi Bob,

Not sure of how much you know about the process from what you wrote but you will need some more software other than photoshop to make a compatible file for the 3D printer. 3D printers use stl files and photoshop can't generate those it can export obj which you can then convert to stl, the cheapest ie free way to do it is with Blender www.blender.org

I have used Shapeways and for small stuff 3D printing it's great if you want to do larger tracings though say A5 and above another idea would be to use a flatbed vinyl cutter with stylus attachment. As with the hobby 3D printers they can have a tendency to warp large modeIs, I plan on getting my own 3D printer sometime for smaller stuff but don't have the space for one at the moment.

For larger tracing designs I'm currently using a Klic n Kut Maxx www.knkusa.com here is an example of the tracing it can do, it can trace directly onto leather up to 12oz thick.

post-4562-0-05097600-1390018022_thumb.jp

Let me know if you would like any further information on either process.

Brilliant cem! I am in the wide format priting business and it never occured to me that a vinyl cutter could cut diretly to leather. Although we don't have an vinyl cutters we do have a Mimaki kiss cutter which should work. But I may look at one of the small cutters for my workshop.

BTW I believe the latest update to Photoshop CC does produce 3D printer ready files.

Do you think it's possible to create a transfer sheet?

Thanks!

Edited by BDAZ

Hi Bob,

I'm a little unsure as to what you want to do as sometimes the terms are a little different between Australia and the US ie are you wanting to draw a design onto leather like what I showed in my picture, cut the design with a knife for bevelling or make a craftaid (tapoff) to be able to push the design into the leather or even actually cut the product pieces out. If it's the last one the knives aren't big or strong enough to be able to that on the small hobby cutters.

Your Mimaki cutter should work for design tracing as long as it has flat tables attached front and back, it may work work without them but I can see the stylus possibly going out of alignment due to the weight of the leather hanging over the edges.

Didn't know that about Photoshop CC having 3D print, I'm still on CS6 none of the print shops I work with wanted to use Adobes new rent only option so I didn't see the need to upgrade yet.

Shapeways has a 2d to 3d print option that can create a 3d image from a silhouette. I made a makers mark stamp for less than $10 including shipping. When it wears out or breaks, I can just have another printed and shipped.

Thanks! I was looking to make custom craftaid type transparant tapoff sheets from my art. The concept of using a cutter direct to leather is very interesting. The Mimakis are in our production facility in Europ so the coimmute woul dbe a killer! But I may see if one of the home units could be adapted.

I'll check out Shapeways. Thanks!!

Cya!

Bob