CollinsMS

Leather Consortium UPDATE

I have been thinking about this for some time now. Maybe this idea is not even an original but I will pitch it anyway. There are many talented leather producers that post on this site. Some of you already have businesses both on the net and in a store front. Some of you produce leather goods for friends and family and some just because you like it. Any way you look at it there is a lot of leather goods produced by many talented people. The people with a business I am sure have items that for whatever reason have not sold or maybe have what could be considered as seconds, still a nice product but not up to your normal standards. Others may have items that they have made and the item is sitting on a shelf or your not sure what to do with it, it was fun making it but now what.

Any way you look at it an individual can not establish a name or a popularity of a Hunter or Oklahoma Leather. Yes I know that as a craftsman you don't want to be compared to a mass producer. You do have goods and services you want to sell and getting yourself in the top Google search list is a job all it's own.

I live in two distinct worlds. I love leather working, the art and usability of the products produced. I do some leather work myself but everything I do is for myself due to my actual job. My job is Information Systems for a 4 billion dollar distribution company. I have a good understanding of the Internet, web sites construction and SEO (Search Engine Optimization). SEO is how your customer finds you, it is what put's you on page one of a Goggle search.

I constantly work on my web site to increase the number of times it makes page one of a Google search (the page started as a hobby). In doing so I now have people asking for products and I have none to offer. People have asked for everything from typical cowboy gun rigs and saddles to saddle bags for a bicycle.

I would like to gather a group talented people that I can advertise your product and charge nothing unless a sale is made. If you have extra stock your trying to move those items could be listed as a BUY IT NOW.

Times are hard in todays world and I fear they will get worse before they get better. Why not use outlets other than your own to sell your product especially if it costs nothing unless a sale is made.

Please respond to this post and let me know your thoughts. This is only a rough outline of an idea. Details would have to be worked out.

Thanks

Mark

The Leathercraftsman web site

Edited by CollinsMS

stool__3_009.jpgLink is not working......... i'm instrested..........

post-1906-1222796559_thumb.jpg

Hi Mark,

Sounds interesting to me also. Let me know, hoow things would work.

Ed

Sorry not sure what happened to the link. It works now. I would like to find out who and how many are interested and then as a group we can work out the details. I don't mind doing the organizing, web work and search engine optimization and I am not looking for some big percentage. I am looking for a way to get quality products to the consumer with the dream that some day Cabelas is nocking on our door. Ok so I dream big, my wife has to remind me all the time to start with a smaller dream.

Thanks

Mark

The Leathercraftsman

Mark, that is what I've been trying to do with LW- bring customers and sellers together. Maybe you and I should pool our resorces and come up with some plans to help all leatherworkers and their related vendors. I think we'll do more working together, you have the expertise, I have the contacts and webspace. This site is all about keeping people from having to get day jobs. It's why I encourage them to fill out their profile- Google really does love this site. Would it help you to see site stats? tell me what email you prefer in a PM.

Johanna

Mark,

A very exciting idea. I am in process of producing gun leather in sets and have no idea how to get these items out to the public I am a mounted shooter and I'm not even sure i can display my items at shoots due to some others marketing their items. As a new comer to retail I don't even know how to price my rigs as far as quality and style. This might be a great way for others like me to ease into the retail environment. I have attached a sample of a holster I have finished but the pic shows the carving detail.

Tank

Lined_Holster_Carving_0908_002.jpg

post-6617-1222800829_thumb.jpg

way to go.. i want to make the items and let someone else do the paper work. :grouphug5vj5:

I also have been looking for something like this. I mostly make knife sheaths for knifemakers.. I've been in the annual Knife Book four times including the new 2009 issue. I have also been featured in Blade Magazine. I do make gun holsters and shell holders for cowboy action shooters (I shoot SASS) Most of the work I do at this time is custom, but I do go to knife and gun shows and lay my product on a table for sale.

Ladybug

Sounds like virtual consignment without having goods sitting somewhere gathering dust . Great idea hope it goes well . Cheers , Dave .

Collins,

Sounds interesting, email me please! ( andy@shottist.com )

Andy

I'm definitely in on this!!! Ultimately what we want is when people search for anything made of leather on the net to do a search and our collective e-store comes up as the #1 search.

I can see this taking off and becoming a real force for us!!!!

Let me know if I can do anything to help.

Tim

You have all overwhelmed me a little. I am trying to take all this in. There has been many ideas put on the post and there has been some email exchanges. Keep the ideas coming. I will be posting more info as I sift through it. The ideas of many will fuel this fire.

Thanks

Mark

You have all overwhelmed me a little. I am trying to take all this in. There has been many ideas put on the post and there has been some email exchanges. Keep the ideas coming. I will be posting more info as I sift through it. The ideas of many will fuel this fire.

Thanks

Mark

mark.collins@theleathercraftsman.com

Listen, I run a small import/trading company; right now I've got leatherwork posted from abroad - handmade, for the most part, but I'd be pleased to pull every last foreign-made bag off my site if I could identify a few good suppliers here in the states.

Drop me a line if anybody's interested; I've got connections through the wholesale and boutique networks here and abroad.

While I don't do leatherwork for anyone other than myself (at this time) I do make products from rope that I sell to individuals and tack stores. If it's welcome I would be interested in adding my halters, leadlines, mecates, and long lines to the site. I'm also working on a design for a rope halter that would have no hardware at all. ( except the bit of course)

How would this work? Would there be an actual warehouse for the items? or would it be like Amazon where you just list items and the price and when people respond you ship it out? Is this for existing inventory only or could custom orders be taken via this sales site?

Here are some examples of my work

101_0112.jpg

101_0011.jpg

100_0874.jpg

Edited by Echo4V

I have a test site operational so you can see what I am talking about. First some words then pictures.

At some point it would be great to have a site that is like an ebay, but in today's economy I am not ready to put up the capital to do that elaborate of a site. Development, lawyers and accountants are all very expensive things.

So here is what I will start with. You the producer will send The Leather Craftsman an email with your items.

In that email you will provide:

Pictures

Descriptions

Is this a one time item or do you make as ordered

Price

Estimated shipping cost would help even if you only define ground USPS.

The email address you want to monitor for sales!!!!!!

Don't go crazy on the description but you want it to point out what you think is important. I the operator of The Leather Craftsman will post these items in a catalog format. Items will be separated into categories. When a person finds an item they like they will fill out the purchase form on the right hand side of the screen and select the PURCHASE button. An email will be sent to you the producer the customer and to an account on my site. When I get the email I will check to make sure it is not a one of a kind item, if it is I remove it from the site.

The transaction then takes place between you and the customer. You can define payment method and final shipping cost.

Here is the part some have told me is crazy. I will do this for FREE to get it started, I will attempt to keep it free until end of year 2008. Your asking why????? Well I have been through more than one business. Some very successful and a flop or two. This is a new concept, something I can not find on the Net, not organized the way I think it should be. If this is successful and you are all making money and items are selling good then you may want to consider sending something to The Leather Craftsman so i can continue to develop the site. I will be evaluating the process all the time. Give suggestions I am more than happy to take them, I just may not be able to do them quickly.

Not to be mean or to sound selective but I will review the items your listing. If they are questionable in quality I will email you and have a discussion about them. I want to offer everything possible. Speaking of offerings, this is not necessarily limited to leather items. I have seen some great knifes on this site, one person who does rope harness lead lines and other rope items. I am open to other items, send me an email and we can talk about it.

The web code is basically ready ------ The Leather Craftsman Catalog

I hope you like it

Looks great to me.

AWESOME ! !

I will send a pm with my e-mail and work toward a getting a few items to you to start with.

Thanks

Tank

Mark, as Johanna stated, that's one of her goals here. Instead of trying to work out the SEO on your site, how about linking up with Leatherworker.net? Maybe work something out with the admin/staff that allows your idea to be more of an e-store for this site?

TwinOaks I agree with you. Johanna has a great site. We had some personal conversations today and I offered to have this post removed. I have no desire to step on any efforts she is making to improve the site or even provide services for all crafters to have a sales outlet. I think it is a great idea and wish her the best of luck. I have linked my site to this one.

I hope everyone is not to upset about all of this. I have received several emails with peoples concerns. I think Johanna should be given a chance to get this up and running for everyone.

Sorry for causing all this trouble

The leather Craftsman

TLC_300pix.jpg

post-6238-1223085476_thumb.jpg

OK, now I am confused. I was reading this link from the beginning and suddenly when I am ready to post my items to the new site, it splutters out and dies ...!

I understood that leatherworker.net is a place for leathercrafters to get together and talk and exchange ideas and show their work and get inspiration and learn from one another.

I don't see how Collins' site conflicts with this site. Or is there such a shop here somewhere on leatherworker.net that I missed?!?

OK, now I am confused. I was reading this link from the beginning and suddenly when I am ready to post my items to the new site, it splutters out and dies ...!

I understood that leatherworker.net is a place for leathercrafters to get together and talk and exchange ideas and show their work and get inspiration and learn from one another.

I don't see how Collins' site conflicts with this site. Or is there such a shop here somewhere on leatherworker.net that I missed?!?

I'm a little confused too....... :unsure:

Can somebody explain slowly in small words please????

Thanks!

cal

Okay, let's clear the air first. No one is stepping on my toes. MS has a good idea, and he may have the technical skills and the time to pull it off successfully. If so, great- more of you leatherworkers get work, become rich and famous and invite me to spend a few days at your vacation place (vacation place defines to anything OUTSIDE of Ohio). So far so good.

What you folks don't see is that, behind the scenes here at LW, you have a team of people dedicated to making your LW experience worth your time, and we are always working on project or two ahead. We're a tight community, and resources are limited (how many rich and famous leatherworkers do you know?) so LW gladly partners with other groups, guilds and associations that are trying to achieve the same goals.

When something comes along that LW can support, it helps the staff to have a heads up before it's discussed and decided on the open forum. This particular situation possibly duplicates the efforts of a similar project that LW has already committed to helping to establish, promote and provide the hosting. When I first read about it, my reaction was, "well, let's not reinvent the wheel, let's get MS involved in making the original idea a success using his expertise." Before I had a chance to run this past the staff, MS arranged the catalog, and that's great, but LW isn't going to be able to be involved in this one, except to link to it and talk it up where appropriate, of course. We wish him every success with it.

And I have to throw this in for all those of you who have not filled in your profiles (click "My Controls" at the top of the page.) People are shopping here. They search the board, read the posts, look at the pics and check the profiles. If someone likes your work, let them buy it easily. There is a place for all your contact info and websites and anything else you want to tell your customers, the googling public. Fill the sucker out!

Keep me up to date with how this is going, MS. I hope it takes off- a leather Etsy. How cool is that?

Johanna

This description is what caught my attention:

In that email you will provide:

Pictures

Descriptions

Is this a one time item or do you make as ordered

Price

Estimated shipping cost would help even if you only define ground USPS.

The email address you want to monitor for sales!!!!!!

Don't go crazy on the description but you want it to point out what you think is important. I the operator of The Leather Craftsman will post these items in a catalog format. Items will be separated into categories. When a person finds an item they like they will fill out the purchase form on the right hand side of the screen and select the PURCHASE button. An email will be sent to you the producer the customer and to an account on my site. When I get the email I will check to make sure it is not a one of a kind item, if it is I remove it from the site.

The transaction then takes place between you and the customer. You can define payment method and final shipping cost.

I do not think a forum is the ideal place for an online store or to showcase leatherwork to outside buyers. I am certainly never going to look at a forum if I am looking to buy something.

JOhanna, can you tell us what you are busy designing for LW?

I hope everyone is not to upset about all of this. I have received several emails with peoples concerns. I think Johanna should be given a chance to get this up and running for everyone.

Sorry for causing all this trouble

The leather Craftsman

Upset, not I. I think it is a noble gesture, and MS should be applauded, and as johanna says its a time to work together. Especially now with the global credit issues. I can also understand Johanna's point of view that new projects are always under development and it is essential for forums to acknowledge this.

I think it is a great idea. Whether by LW or MS and I feel MS has been ver very keen in designing a catologue so quickly, but also very responsible responding to what has been discussed here, I hope that we don't put MS off. as someone just starting to srell his little creations breaking into the marketplace with limited funds (and on my part limited talent) is very daunting.

I think Johanna and the staff here have shown considerable knowledge and forsight to create this forum in the first place and I for one trust their judgement on this matter. And I am willing to give it a try, if it proves as some suggest that the forum isn't the place for sales well then lets cross that bridge when we come to it.

I think this is a case of great minds thinking alike. And for two (or more) respected LW members to come up with the same notion from different places suggests that it is something that is needed by us little people. Better that two people come up with an idea than none.

My 2cents worth. i would like to thank Johanna and MS for supporting us and coming up with new projects which could help newbies get started.

Group hug

:grouphug5vj5: