BEAUCASTLE

Possible N. Porter? Need Advice To Restore

I bought this saddle from a very nice tack ship in Chesterfield, Mo in the early 1970's. The owner told me it was made by a very good saddle maker, and it appeared old then. I really did not use it much but have kept it all this time time because it feels like a a "really good saddle." Upon investigation it looks just like a Porter saddle but I have not seen the markings. Also would the silver be tarnished by now if it was real silver. Could it be a Porter?

Obviously it needs to be cleaned so advice on that would be appreciated. Best I can tell I should get as much dust as possible off of the leather with compressed air, a soft brush and vacuuming before starting with the liquid cleaners. After that the advice I read is all over the place. I do plan on selling it… Or sell it as is and let an expert clean it?

Saddle.JPGSaddle1.jpgSaddle2.jpgSaddle3.jpgSaddle4.jpg

post-48881-0-09558500-1390182687_thumb.j

post-48881-0-21112700-1390182688_thumb.j

post-48881-0-62950900-1390182689_thumb.j

post-48881-0-81613000-1390182690_thumb.j

post-48881-0-25050800-1390182692_thumb.j

Edited by BEAUCASTLE

Are there any numbers on it anyplace, maybe under the seat jockey? I doubt it is a Porter. I have a Porter kids kind of saddle and that son of a gun is maker stamped in 5 or 6 places.

What you have is, I believe, a Simco from the late 50's into e 60's. The pelican horn was popular at that time. I have a roughout from that era. These saddles were very well made, a lot better than much of what we see today

Hi Saddlebag,

Did you look at this link? http://www.western-s...a-allen-saddle/ It is the exact same saddle…. the cowboy on the fender is the same.. unless, of course, more than one saddle maker used the same tooling designs? You are correct that it is a very well made saddle. Any advice on cleaning it without hurting it?

Edited by BEAUCASTLE

It appears to be the same saddle as the Bona Allen you found. Bruce is correct in that most Porter Saddles of that era are stamped in multiple locations. We have had several Porter saddles in the shop over the years and they all seem to have been well marked. You surely have a Bona Allen.. Give it a good cleaning with any major brand of saddle soap and a coat or two of Lexol, Rudys by Bee Natural, or any good quality sadle oil.. Those oldies are a joy to look at, enjoy..

Jeff

I would say it was made by any number of saddle makers that was under contract with Sear Robuck in the 50's at the time. Most were not marked as they were most likely bought through sears mail order at the time. But that is just a guess.

RC

The reason I tho't Simco was that I tho't I was seeing the little flower in the center of the horn cap. A pic would be helpful. Simco told me they sometimes stamped the particulars up high on the skirt under the fender. My Simco of this style was only identifiable by the numbers and name on the keeper and the horn flower.

Edited by Saddlebag

Although it has a Porter "look" to it I'm real sure it isn't because I have never seen a Porter that wasn't plainly maker stamped in multiple places. And the conchos aren't silver, they are nickel plated steel.

It does have a little flower on the center of the horn. I will look up under the skirts for markings when I bring it home to clean it. I have not had horse for 30 years but haven't been able to bring myself to get rid of this saddle. Guess I should clean it and get it home where it will be used.

Thanks for everyone's input.