I will tell you my dilemma first. I have been making beer holsters for my friends for fun. I do not like the look of un-dyed leather on the back part of the holster. (The flesh side that would go against your leg). On the flip side, I am really nervous that if i do dye the flesh side that there is a chance it will bleed onto someone's clothing.

I just learned about vinagaroon. Is it possible to just apply it to the flesh side? Or will it bleed all the way through? Does anyone have any experience with this stuff?

Thank you in advance for your input!

ive just finished some roon, and when applied it soaked right through and coloured the leather right through, doesnt seem to alter anything behiind or that has rubbed against it. great stuff... also didnt use rust wool either.

dont know about long term though yet

But it did soak all the way through?? How did you apply it? What size leather were you using? I would be using 7-9 oz leather...I am hoping it is thick enough that it would not soak through

It will most likely soak through. It's a pretty strong chemical reaction in the leather that makes the leather black. You may get some rub off of the fleshy parts, but it's not the color coming off, it's the leather. If you are dying black, just switch to groon. If you are doing another color you could dye the flesh side and then coat it with an acrylic finish.

Or you could buy bridle leather in the color you want. It's colored on both sides and pressed smooth on the back. It has wax and oil in it too, which means it's pretty much finished leather.

i just dabbed a spot off my finger on a thick scrap, left a drop on the leather and it just soaked in and before my eyes turned clack, its amazing to see. if aplied by brush or dauber i would guess it would soak through also, after i had dabbed my finger on and left the drop, i touched another area of the leather that turned too. but not as dark so maybe able to apply less amounts? will have to play at some point

I often bursh it on with a foam brush. I've used it on several holsters. You obviously don't want anything treated with roon to touch a metal weapon. If I brush it on, and brush on the baking soda solution shortly after, it does not soak all the way through. A lot might depend on how thick the leather is. 2oz, it will be through in no time. 8oz, doesn't bleed through on my. I normally do two light coats. I'll let it sit like 1 minute and use the base solution. Try a few test pieces.