I'm interested in dyeing leather white, and obtaining the effect shown in this image. Anyone have any thoughts on how to color the leather white? Is there a white dye? I'd prefer not to paint the leather if possible. How do you suggest I do the shadowed effect?

post-36615-0-13025400-1390243403_thumb.j

They do make a white dye, but it doesn't work worth a crap on veg-tan. You have to put lots of coats on and I've never been able to make it look good.

And, it STINKS....

The shadow effect could probably be achieved by using a contrasting antiquing color, such as black... possibly "diluted" with neutral antique or white/gray shoe polish. I say diluted because I have not seen gray antique finish... and Ive never mixed antique with shoe polish so test on scraps first. However the shadow effect in the image looks identical to what antique finish can do.

Here are two replicas I have done of the white Mord'sith you originally posted. The full suit was the first actual leather working I had ever done and it was a year long odyssey. I used LOTS of Cova white acrylic paint and a blend of mostly natural Fiebings antique paste with a TOUCH of black to get the grey. My issues with Cova in hindsight is the price of it for the amount and the variety in color lots. Plus I did experience some flaking and peeling with some of the batches. The belt was done with Angelus white paint which I highly recommend. It adheres much better to the leather, comes in bigger sizes and is much cheaper per ounce then the Cova. I then used spray leather sheen to seal the leather which works for cosplay use just nicely.

Unfortunately if you plan on doing any tooling on your piece you will need veg tan leather which I have never found in white. The only white I found was either chrome tan or thin garment leather. Hope this helps :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

post-17044-0-22398400-1391127786_thumb.j

post-17044-0-80644600-1391127861_thumb.j

Buy some white leather. You don''t need any dye.

White leather is definitely the way to go if you just want plain white leather. However, any sort of tooling will need veg tan leather. Also chrome tan leather can not be wet molded and is fairly stiff.

Here are two replicas I have done of the white Mord'sith you originally posted. The full suit was the first actual leather working I had ever done and it was a year long odyssey. I used LOTS of Cova white acrylic paint and a blend of mostly natural Fiebings antique paste with a TOUCH of black to get the grey. My issues with Cova in hindsight is the price of it for the amount and the variety in color lots. Plus I did experience some flaking and peeling with some of the batches. The belt was done with Angelus white paint which I highly recommend. It adheres much better to the leather, comes in bigger sizes and is much cheaper per ounce then the Cova. I then used spray leather sheen to seal the leather which works for cosplay use just nicely.

Unfortunately if you plan on doing any tooling on your piece you will need veg tan leather which I have never found in white. The only white I found was either chrome tan or thin garment leather. Hope this helps :)

Would you mind telling where you got the pattern for the neck piece? Gorget or something like that I believe it's called lol. I REALLY like the looks of that.

I was lucky, a friend of mine had access to a screen used costume and gave me rough drafts of patterns to develop my own :)