Pennypower

Alternative To Gouger?

Hi all. Recently I've been using a gouger to cut/gouge out lines in my belts, but it's hard to control. Is there an alternative? I've tried a swivel knive but it just makes a cut. It doesn't actually gouge out any leather. The below picture is what I've been using. I would love to use something like a groover, but more freestyle.

:-)

http://springfieldleather.com/29162/Gouge%2CAdjustable%2CV/

HI Penny:

You might try a stitch gouger (purchased at any leather supply store).

wnb

Go back to Springfield and look for this item:

Groover, Pro Stitching Set. I tried t insert a link but something is not working right and it won't let me right now.

If you want to make an actual groove, removing leather, . . . a stitch groover is hard to beat. You can get one that is pretty much fixed, . . . or adjustable, . . . or freehand.

The freehand one is a hoot, . . . works great, . . . just take your time using it.

Google up Tandy, . . . put in the search word: groover. I've got all three, . . . they work well for me. The cheap one with the wooden handle, . . . is my "fixed" one as I cut off the excess of the arm, . . . locked it into position, . . . never have any problem with my stitch borders not being the same from item to item.

If you do not want to remove leather, . . . but just make a line, . . . an old pair of dividers works wonders. Just take em to the sandpaper and dull em real good first, . . . or they will cut the leather.

John Bianchi in an older set of videos, . . . used the dividers to lay out his stitches on a belt and holster he made for demo.

May God bless,

Dwight