BIS Leads

Repairing A 4 Strand Braid With Core

A friend has an old lead that got chewed and asked me to repair it. It is not one I've made.

Any suggestions for repairing? I can figure out back braiding each end together, but how do I shorten up the core without causing a knot under the braid?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Barb

post-45943-0-85875900-1390329742_thumb.j

Can you get to the core from either of the ends and pull it tight from there?

Edited by TXAG

I'm not sure, without undoiing the backbraid at the end. But an idea. I'll check into it. Thanks.

I think that's going to be your only option aside from cutting it, knotting it, or folding it neatly along the length and braiding over it...the cleanest fix (in my opinion) would be to pull it tight from an end...

Barb, I'm glad you posted this. I have recently done two similar repairs & didn't think until after that I should have taken before & after pics. Anyway, I was thinking that the ways people have handled repairs would make a really interesting thread. With that small of a core,I would probably not even attempt to pull it from the end, my thought would be to slide the braid back both ways, cut & knot the core, splice the ends together over the knot & put a button over the splice. Just a thought, be interesting to see what other ideas turn up& keep us posted on what you do. Buck

Ended up, due to where the chewed portion was, of unbraiding it - BTW is it normal to use glue all through your back braid? - splicing the peices and splicing new tails on, rebraiding over the existing core. Ended up just a tad shorter than the original lead. Now, I just hope it holds!

Would have loved to glue a bead or leather knot over the splice, but it would have looked very wrong with the existing beads.

I would like to know how you splice the braid like that, with two "open" ends?