Icho

Help With Sewing Machine Please?

Hi all. I'm new to leather work and very new to this forum. I only made about 5 knife sheaths. I'm hoping someone can help me out with sewing machines. There is one for sale and was wondering if it would work for making sheaths. I know pretty much nothing about sewing machines so any help would be greatly appreciated. Here's what I'm looking at. Its a Pfaff 1295 walking feet 3phase motor and they will throw in a 110v clutch motor. Any ideas what it would be worth? Also I was wondering what the controller panel does.... I know I am lost when it comes to sewing machines lol. Any other help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

T2eC16FHJGoFFu4oUu8BRt6V6p48_20_zps0a8d4c69.jpeg

T2eC16FHJHoFGl06SyhBRui1uYg48_35_zpsd6288fce.jpeg

T2eC16hyUE9s6NGYQBRt7MUETg48_20_zps631d6655.jpeg

It's a post machine and will sew around 5/16 inch thick. They are handy to have but it won't sew a knife sheath with a welt or mine won't anyway. I have no ideal on the box.

A clutch motor will sew way too fast for what you want if you have never used one before. You have to be able to feather the clutch to make it go slow enough for most leather work you will do.

When looking for a machine, get one with a servo motor (so you can sew slowly), set up for leather the thickness you need to sew and with the thread size you are going to use.

There are tons of threads here about what to get for a leather sewing machine. Do some searches and lots of reading. Upholstery or garment sewing machines are not suitable for most leather work (except for thin stuff).

There are ads by machine suppliers shown at the top of the page here. Look at what they have and are supplying. Some have used machines available if you ask.

The control box may include a needle positioning system. Stops with needle up or down when you stop the machine. Looks like a bunch of other stuff in the control box too.

Tom

Hi Icho. The holster makers that I have dealt with use a cylinder arm machine, including John Bianchi, DeSantis, Winthrop, and Lobo. Thanks, Steve

Post machines are normally used in the manufacturing of moccasins, shoe and boot uppers, hats and caps, and other items whose shapes are best sewn over a post, rather than a cylinder arm.

The pictured machine may be capable of sewing with up to #138 bonded thread, into about 5/16 inch (20 ounces) (the feet lift up to 14 mm, or 9/16 inch). Doing so will require a #23 leather point needle.

The machine is valued at $4500, plus or minus, new.

Well thanks for the replies. I called and emailed to get some info from the seller so I guess now I just have to wait. I figured the machine was worth a decent amount. Doing searches on that model I think the lowest price I found was about 1200.

Well the guy got back to me and sent me some more pics. It is a very solid looking machine and I found out that it is 220v 3 phase which is a slight inconvenience but not a big deal. It also has air hook up. I never imagined a sewing machine would have air hook up. I know I should probably look at a machine that is more appropriate for what I am doing but it seems like such a good price that I am having a hard time forgetting about it.lol I may take a ride and check it out.

Andrew, I really don't think the guy would be wiling to ship it to California but if I don't end up getting it I will definitely send you the info an all of the extra pics he sent me.

Well the guy got back to me and sent me some more pics. It is a very solid looking machine and I found out that it is 220v 3 phase which is a slight inconvenience but not a big deal. It also has air hook up. I never imagined a sewing machine would have air hook up. I know I should probably look at a machine that is more appropriate for what I am doing but it seems like such a good price that I am having a hard time forgetting about it.lol I may take a ride and check it out.

Andrew, I really don't think the guy would be wiling to ship it to California but if I don't end up getting it I will definitely send you the info an all of the extra pics he sent me.

Keep in mind that this is not the machine you need to sew sheaths or holsters. It is purely for light duty leather, of medium denim, or garments, moccasins, caps, etc.

A machine that is capable of sewing sheath thickness leathers needs a machine that has a "walking foot". These are industrial machines with external motors. The one you pictured has a very small motor, and will burn out in no time, It will also give you a poor quality stitch.

Edited by flintlock

Hey guys. Sorry it took me so long to get back. Thanks for the replies.

A machine that is capable of sewing sheath thickness leathers needs a machine that has a "walking foot". These are industrial machines with external motors. The one you pictured has a very small motor, and will burn out in no time, It will also give you a poor quality stitch.

Sa said in the opening post this machine does have walking foot. As for the motor, considering it is 220v I would have never thought of it as very small. Anywhere I looked online the Pfaff 1295 is listed as an industrial machine. Here is another pic of the motor and electrical box. It does look to me that it is a servo motor.

20140124_1224101_zps2afd5042.jpg

Since I am so far off on what is an industrial sewing machine for leather is there anything I can look for when searching thru sale listings that would make it capable of sewing up to 1/2" leather? Such as hp rating or anything else that can be spotted out. Like I said, I know pretty much nothing about sewing machines but I am trying to learn as much as I can because I am not a fan of the awl. Thanks so much for the help.

Just for your info, the motor shown is not a servo motor. It is a regular clutch motor that has an electromagnetic actuated clutch and brake. True, the clutch and brake are controlled by the control box which does allow for needle positioning. It is an industrial motor and control box. I still have these in service running 40 hours a week since the early 80's. They were well designed and well made, far from whimpy. These motors and control boxes aren't for home use. You have to have 220V/3 phase power. These are pretty much obsolete these days, though I can still get the control boxes repaired by DSI. The motors are somewhat of a beast to work on, the bearings usually go out first. You could replace it with a servo motor for home use. Listen to the Wiz man, read his machine advice for leather work pinned at the top of this forum. Oh, and have fun!

Regards, Eric

Thanks Eric. The 220v wouldn't be a problem. I have a 220v 2phase belt grinder running in my garage right now. I read Wizcrafts sticky before and didn't realize that there was a lot more in there than I originally thought. Thanks again guys for putting up with me. Lol. I will stick with my awl for now and continue researching and hopefully find a good deal on the right machine.

No problem. Also, 220 3 phase has 3 hot legs and a ground. 220 single phase has 2 hot legs and a ground. They are not the same thing. Unless your grinder has 4 prongs on the plug, it's single phase. Just a heads up while you're still shopping around.

Regards, Eric

220 in North America residential service is single phase. May be 2 wire or 3 wire, but is still single phase. There is no 220 2 phase.

220 VAC 3 phase is a different animal. Used in commercial and light industrial applications. Usually nominal 208 VAC 3 phase.

You need a single phase to 3 phase converter to use that motor.

Would be easier to switch motors and use a servo motor.

Tom

My grinder has a VFD. 110v single phase in, 220v 3phase out. 1hp motor. Works great. Just a regular 110v single phase in, 220v 3phase out converter is about $100 more or less. I'm definitely not an electrician so that was just some research and consulting I had to do. I love the internet.