LBennett

Consew 226R-R With No Bobbin Tension......

Ok, I have a Consew 226r-2. Had great even thread tension when I first got it, had it set up in my garage. It had been used mainly for Upholstery jobs prior to my getting it. Then when I moved it into my house ( sewing in an unheated garage when the temps are 50F and under, wasn't going to happen, and now we've been -38F a few mornings i'm glad i brought it in) but i digress.. since i brought it in i've been having tension issues. thought i had it sorted out, but was wrong. When i stitch 95% of the time the bottom threads loop is showing on the topside. once in a rare while it will be just right and the knot won't show top or bottom, but as i said that is rare! I've read the manual multiple times, gone through all the adjustments for tension for both top and bobbin.. and still no love. I can pull the bobbin thread and there is almost no resistance at all... I'm just at a loss at what to do to figure it out.

I attached a couple pictures. the one on the dark leather is how the stitch looks most of the time, the spur straps show it doing it's sometimes nice, sometimes off stitch, and then the other pale leather is the one time it seemed to be stitching just right...

2013-12-02 02.23.32.jpg

2013-12-02 04.22.54.jpg

funky stitches..jpg

2013-12-02 02.23.32.jpg

2013-12-02 04.22.54.jpg

funky stitches..jpg

post-37875-0-95691200-1390678768_thumb.j

post-37875-0-96147800-1390678772_thumb.j

post-37875-0-09153700-1390678776_thumb.j

Edited by LBennett

If you had just brought the machine in from the cold garage I would think that was part of the problem. If you are storing thread in the cold garage, only bringing into the warm area when you need to sew that can be a problem.

You mentioned your bobbin thread is fairly loose, you need to adjust the bobbin thread so it has a little tension. You may be confused with tension in which direction the thread is pulled. Less tension on the bobbin will allow the top tension to pull the thread above the top surface of the leather. Try to adjust both top and bottom about the middle and then work from there.

When you switch from one thickness of leather to another or change thread size, your machine will often need to be readjusted. That is why you often hear about having several machines for doing different types of sewing.

ferg

Sorry I didn't specify how long ago we brought it in. Moved it into the house about 2 months ago, so lots of time to come up to temp. and the Thread is all stored in a container in the same room as the machine is in.

I've tried to tighten the spring on the bobbin case, and it is as snugged up tight as I can get it, but there it still no tension on the bobbin thread. I was wondering if it is possible that the spring is shot on there?

Thank you very much for the reply Ferg.

Linda

Also, I tried stitching with 138 on the bottom and 69 on the top, and then i got a beautiful stitch... and that seems very odd to me. I hadn't paid attention to which bobbin i had put in, and had grabbed the 138 instead of my usual 69.

I wonder if you could remove the spring part and bend it to make it have tension again...might be easier to get a new bobbin case though...

Try loosening the screw. I had a friend come to me with a similar issue on a 42-5 bobbin case. Seems that the screw had been tightened down hard all the way, and actually caused the spring tension to loosen it's grip on the thread. I backed off the screw about a half turn, and proper tension was restored. Apparently somebody thought the screw should be tight, and didn't know it was intended to be an adjustment. A quarter turn in either direction can make lots of difference !!

Normally you would use heavier thread in needle with next step down in the bobbin. If the bobbin is small this allows more time between filling bobbin.

Sounds as though the spring on the bobbin is bad. I agree, probably better to just get a new bobbin.

ferg

Hi Linda. I'm reposting my information on how to ensure that your bobbin tension makes it under the tension spring and how to check. That's the first (and most common) issue with vertical hook machines that lack bobbin tension.

Insert your bobbin so that when you pull on the thread that it rotates counter-clockwise. On the front of the bobbin case, you'll see a vertical and slightly angled slot. Push the bobbin thread down into this slot. Leave about 5" there. Next, thread your needle and while holding onto your needle thread rotate the handwheel towards you. You'll see the hook rotate clockwise, picking up the needle thread and take it across and around the the bobbin. It will grab your bobbin thread and pull it. At this point, make sure the bobbin thread slides into the slot and underneath the latch opener hook and the protrusion on the bobbin basket. As you continue to rotate the handwheel, your needle thread will bring the bobbin thread up through the hole in you feed dog. Grab the bobbin thread and push down on the bobbin. Pull the bobbin thread while still pushing down on the bobbin itself, This ensures that the thread is under the tension spring. At that point, you should feel tension on the thread. If not, take a small screwdriver or needle and pry the tension spring away from body of the basket. Look for a wad of fuzz under the spring and clean it out. If that doesn't do it, remove the small screw that adjusts the tension. Place the tip of a flat screwdriver underneath the spring where the hole is for the screw you just removed. Turn the screwdriver blade sideways, holding it there while you push the end of the spring towards the basket, giving it more curve. You'll know you've moved it enough when you replace the adjustment screw and you have to compress the spring a bit. If you have trouble getting it started, Loosen the anchor screw on the right side of the spring a bit, insert the tension screw, then re-tighen the anchor screw. Hope that helps.

Regards, Eric

Thank you all so much for the replies! lots of very helpful advice. I have ordered a new bobbin case, but am also giving everything a good clean to make sure that "gunk" wasn't the issue.

I'm saving this thread to my computer so that I can remind myself of steps and problem solving tips .

Linda

Hey Linda, whatever fixed your issue? Was it a new bobbin case or?? I'm having the EXACT same issue, can't turn the adjustment nut at all, cranked all the way down..

Thanks

Todd

Yes ordered a new bobbin case and it has been working beautifully since. I realised when I took the old bobbin case apart to look at the spring, that the spring was very worn, even had a bit of a groove forming in it.

That is what the stitches look like now. ( the picture)

post-37875-0-44235600-1392912150_thumb.j