McLestergl

Cobra Class 4 Top Stitch Not Laying Straight

I just received a new Cobra Class 4 machine. I haven't made any changes to it (yet). I am using 277 top and bottom, I'm not sure of the needle size (whatever they shipped it with). My top stitch is not laying straight, it's a zig-zag from each hole. I would guess that the stitch length is about 6ou I haven't used a machine in more than 8 years, but I had a Tipmann and a Champion needle and awl machine for several years.

I'm thinking the bobbin tension needs to be tightened, but before I make any adjustments I thought I would ask on here. I am also wondering if maybe the needle is to large for the thread?

Thanks

Bill

Edited by McLestergl

Bill,

Have you checked to make sure the needle is all the way in? (Ask me how I know!). I'm just a newbie too, having had my Cobra 4 for only a couple of months so that's all I can offer.....but fully seating the needle took care of my "errant stitch" problem.

Rick

Many people like the zig zag pattern in their stitches. But if you don't just use a different needle point.

A couple of people have posted PDFs showing how the various point styles look. Here one of them.

TI_SMN_15_EN_01_20130703_150.pdf

Dan

TI_SMN_15_EN_01_20130703_150.pdf

Rick, I will take a look at the needle. I figured it would be safer to ask before I started tweaking on the machine LOL.

Thanks

Bill

Thanks for the quick replies. I changed the needle to a #24 and all is good now.

Thanks

Bill

Good deal Bill!

Glad you got things going in the right direction.

When I first read your post, I thought you were talking about random, unpredictable zig zags. Sounds like Dan had the right answer with the change of needles (and needle point styles?).

You're gonna love this machine.....

Take care,

Rick

Different styles of blades on these needles make different stitch patterns....go and Google for Schmetz needles and you will end up on their webpage,,,,,wonderful info on what needle type does what pattern and what it is used for !!!!

Hello:

Most people use the 'S" point that Schmetz has for the most straight stitches. If you are looking for straight stitches that are perfectly in line, then DO NOT use the LR and RTW points as these purposely will make the stitch look like a zigzag, either canted to the left or to the right.

The Diamond Points "DIA and Triangle Points "TRI" do a pretty good job of getting s straight stitch.

That I am aware of, Schmetz is the only maker of the "S" point.

Hope this helps.

Thank you all for the great info.!

Thanks for all of the great info. I used my needle and awl machine for years with Organ needles and 6 cord that I purchased with the machine and never tried any other needles.

Thanks Again

Bill

Groz-Beckert also make an S point.

Once I changed the thread size and had same problem changed the needle one size up and taaddaaaaa!! Lol