knazim

Saddleback Leather Video

Check this out:

Regards

KN

That guy is so painfully tedious to listen to, I can't ever make it through an entire video of his.

One thing he's completely full of s### on is parachutes are not sewn with polyester thread -- they're sewn with bonded nylon thread...and so are the harnesses and containers. I have no idea who told him that, but all the military specifications I've read on parachute rigging call for bonded nylon thread.

I'm not saying it's better than polyester...I'm just saying he's full of crap on that piece.

TX, it probably does not matter however you seem to apriciate accuracy of facts, you might want to update your facs. Bonded polyester thread is used on parachutes as well as bonded nylon thread.

http://www.coatsindustrial.com/en/products-applications/technical-sewing/outdoor-pursuits/parachutes

Right. Whatever.

There were other inaccuracies too...I just don't pay any attention to what he says anymore.

Also, I tend to rely on actual military specifications...not propaganda from a thread manufacturer. I've packed a logbook full of reserve parachutes. How many have you packed?

Edited by TXAG

Over 1000 I was Force Recon in the United States Marine Corps during Viet Nam and continued skidiving for several years after that. I agree for Military Specs However there are civilian chutes and some of those manufactures do use bonded polyester thread.

Edited by camano ridge

I agree, you asked a question and I simply answered. No argument and no ill will meant. I shall now go on to more constructive endevors.

I am not playing anymore, so by definition you are now playing with yourself.

I love it TXAG!!!!!!

ANOTHER positive and happy response!

Again you've proven our collective opinions!

Thanks for being so consistent (and predictable)

I actually own a Saddleback bag. I thought it was the greatest thing when I bought it, and now it is getting ready to go on eBay. What really turned me off was all the constant traveling Dave does. Africa multiple times a year, and a bunch of other locations. That's when I realized he's making a KILLING on these. Any of you have a guess? I don't know the exact number, but I am guessing around 100% markup on these bags, so half the price is margin. It's probably higher than that.

What are your thoughts? What do you think a large Saddleback briefcase costs to make?

Hmm, well I've been doing research to try and make my own modeled after the front pocket briefcase, and buying everything is going to run me around $250. This includes all 316 stainless steel hardware, full grain 4-5oz leather, pig lining, Tiger Thread (Ritza 25) and other miscellaneous stuff. Of course, I have extra material, so the actual material cost of the bag is less than that, and I'm having to pay retail since just an enthusiast. I'd say most leather bags have insane mark up though, I've seen some less robust than saddleback go for $800+

Hmm, well I've been doing research to try and make my own modeled after the front pocket briefcase, and buying everything is going to run me around $250. This includes all 316 stainless steel hardware, full grain 4-5oz leather, pig lining, Tiger Thread (Ritza 25) and other miscellaneous stuff. Of course, I have extra material, so the actual material cost of the bag is less than that, and I'm having to pay retail since just an enthusiast. I'd say most leather bags have insane mark up though, I've seen some less robust than saddleback go for $800+

I would venture to say his material costs are half that if not less. Dave owns the tannery, and buys other supplies in bulk. $250 and you're paying retail. Add in labor cost and bet he is around $250 as well.

Good point about the $800 bags. Just think about what they're making.

I think what he charges for his bags is irrelevant if people are paying it. I would be happy if someone would pay that much for a bag I made (I don't make bags though).

I think he's wrong to tell people a finished edge is hiding an inferior product. He mentions it in that video, But goes into more detail on his website, That if a maker finishes the edges of the leather then they are doing it to hide something. I think an unburnished edge is just laziness.

I love it TXAG!!!!!!

ANOTHER positive and happy response!

Again you've proven our collective opinions!

Thanks for being so consistent (and predictable)

DON'T include Me in your collective opinions, I will do my own thinking, and hold my own opinions!!!!!!!!!!!