rmr

Thread Options For A Campbell-Bostitch Machine

Can Nylon be used in a campbell-bostitch awl and needle machine??? Been considering getting one and then somewhere I thought I remembered someone saying you could only use cotton or polyester thread- is that true??

If so, are there companies that sell different colors of polyester thread in 207 or 277 - other than white and black?

Thanks

RMR

The company has two names: Campbell-Bosworth and Campbell-Randall. Bostitch is a stapler company.

You can use any thread you want to in a Campbell lockstitch machine. But, bonded polyester has a softer hand than bonded nylon and works better with its tension mechanism. Ideally, one should use glazed linen thread, run through liquid Lax-Wax, in these machines.

Hello:

I would recommend using a bonded nylon or a waxed linen thread.

Hope that helps

Needle and awl machines were developed long before synthetic threads (pre WWII) and therefore were originally used with natural threads like cotton or linen. Natural fiber threads should be waxed using the machine wax pot, but they should never be ordered pre-waxed if intended for use in any machine - that creates a mess and more problems. The quality of the thread is also important for consistent stitches.

Nylon is more common, as it's slightly cheaper, but a good polyester is preferred in needle and awl machines. Its not so much the feel of the the thread but the stretch. If you were to pull on a few feet of both nylon and polyester, you'll find the nylon stretches much more. This will cause problems in heavy stitchers. The needle and awl machines pull much tighter stitches than modern single needles (a thread break system vs tension disks), and the stretch eventually causes backlash and twists that will result in skipped stitches, knots and breaks. Nylon also retains its shape more the polyester, so as you get to the bottom of the spool, this problem is magnified as the coils feed through the machine. This is why we developed a side feed thread rack fro the Campbell.

Also important to note, always use left twist threads in straight needle machines, both single needle and needle & awl versions. Right twist is primarily for curved needle (shoe) machines. Braided thread will work in any machine.

Sorry about the mis-spell of the name- I should have caught that.

Thanks for all the info- still would like to know can linen thread and or polyester thread be found in numerous different colors? Everywhere I have checked its either black or white

The reason I ask -is the cases Im planning on using this machine for- I have already developed a color scheme of the leather and contrasting thread that I really don't want to change if at all possible. More specifically- Im currently using a sand /wheat thread ( off white) on my projects

Hey Dan, what's the "bulldog" brand polyester you guys have listed on your website? Is that something that can be ran on a 441? How does it impart to your "normal" bonded poly?

Thanks! -Andrew

I answered my own question- looked at the Campbell web site and saw the Deer colored polyester thread in 207 and 277- that is exactly what I was looking for