Dwight

I Need Some Thread Information, Please,.......

For the last several years, I have used Tandy's 346 white waxed nylon (?) thread, . . . with almost no problems at all.

The one situation I cannot fix is the thread will not take dye permanently, . . . it eventually rubs off, . . . and generally turns some color between white and the product dye color.

I'd like to find the same thread, . . . in brown and in black.

I bought the offering Springfield Leather had to offer, . . . was very much disappointed with their thread (but to my pleasure they offered to take it back, . . . full refund :cowboy: ).

Anyway, . . . it is a heavily waxed thread, . . . wonder if you all know where I can get something equivalent.

May God bless,

Dwight

I may be corrected by the actual experts, but I *think* that the wax is resisting the dye from completely absorbing. I used some of Tandy's waxed thread for a while and it had a TON of wax. The wax is still rubbing off projects that were made a year ago. So, I would *think* that using standard nylon thread would take the dye better (or nylon thread with a little beeswax if you are hand stitching).

Dwight,

I may be wrong, but Tandy offers the waxed nylon thread is available in brown and black in addition to the white. I'm assuming it is the same you are using. I recently sewed my first belt with Tiger thread, it is good stuff. It doesn't frizz out like I have found with the Tandy nylon & braided cord. Helps this helps.

Terry

I just noticed you posted needing thread.

Have you tried Maine Thread Co.?

www.mainethread.com

They will send you a sample card of their waxed threads.

I just noticed you posted needing thread.

Have you tried Maine Thread Co.?

www.mainethread.com

They will send you a sample card of their waxed threads.

Thank you, my friend, . . . but they only make thread up to 277, . . . the smallest I use is 346, . . . and I'd really like to stay there. I like the way it works, and the way it looks.

I tried others, . . . maybe I'm too picky, . . .

But, again, thanks for the heads up.

May God bless,

Dwight

Campbell/Randall has some Tandy ( leather factory)waxed poly thread in white ,black, and brown. Lots of Berber thread also in larger gauges. I have used the Berber linen thread with good results. It can be died and the waxed to any color you choose.

See here-->> http://www.campbell-randall.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=Thread&product_id=588

By the way. The best artist are always picky. Stay that way.

You can dye Barbour's glazed linen thread. I used to do it using alcohol based leather dye. I think that 6 cord is the equivalent of #346. Campbell Randall sells Barbour's thread in one pound spools, in both left (straight needle machine) and right (curved or hand needle) twist.

You can hand wax the thread as you prepare to sew.

Edited by Wizcrafts