Drake42

Doubling Up Sides To Make Thicker Piece

I am trying to make a quiver from a pattern that calls out 8-9 oz. but unfortunately I do not have any leather on hand that is this thick. I know with careful work I can make an edge seam like a single piece but what I haven't been able to figure out is if I glues two pieces together if I can create a piece that has the same stiffness properties the pattern is looking for. Has anyone tried anything like this? I have 4-5 oz. leather on hand that I'm think to try it with but due to the size of the piece I wanted to check before I glued two big chunks of leather together.

Thank you for any advice,

Drake42

You didn't say if it was vegetable tanned leather you are using. That can make all the difference in the world.

I know of holster makers who do what you are planning, . . . gluing them flesh side to flesh side, . . . it makes a very pretty and smooth inside and outside for the holster. It is also very rigid.

I made one some time ago and got in a hurry with my selection, . . . used 2 pieces of 5/6 for the front and the same for the back, . . . laughed about it later as being the 10th round of the weapon. Shoot all 8 bullets, . . . if that don't work hit em with the gun, . . . if that fails, . . . hit em with the holster ;) .

I use weldwood contact cement when I'm doing things like this, . . . cut two pieces, one slightly larger than the other, . . . then after the gluing process, . . . trim the fat one down.

You can also "massage" it a bit and it will become somewhat more flexible, . . . but it will almost never become loose and limber.

May God bless,

Dwight

Hello Dwight,

That sounds about what I had planned. I think I am going to give it try on a smaller component of the quiver as a test run then make the main body. Thank you for the insight and your quick response.